Thursday, December 6, 2012

So, now maybe I won't get lost...

Probably not a big concern here in our home waters.  The boat has a great Raymarine chartplotter.  I have a dated, but serviceable small Garmin color chartplotter that I used to use as a backup.  These days, the iPad, Joan's iPhone, and my Droid all have the Navionics app, making them even better (and more current) backups.

I have been playing with the recently released Garmin Bluechart Mobile app... it is another chartplotter app, much like the Navionics.  Regular readers here know I really like the Navionics app.  I have been using it since shortly after the iPad came out.  It works.  In spite of all the bad information that gets tossed around the internet, you don't have to be connected to the internet for the chartplotter app to work... you just have to have a device that has a built-in GPS chip (like the cellular iPads, NOT the wifi-only models).

Well, there's a new kid in town.  OK, Garmin is far from a new kid in the GPS and charting business, but they are now in the app business.  I have been less than enthralled with Garmin's proprietary chart card pricing.  Their more recent chartplotters have pre-installed marine data.  But, this new app is the equivalence of all their US chart cards... for less than $30.  For another $4, you can get weather data displayed on the chart app (when you have an internet connection).  It's a good deal.

But, how does it stack up against your up-to-now favorite, the Navionics app?  Thanks for asking.  It's still early, but the apps are pretty similar.  The Garmin app has a lot more options, the best two being Active Captain data and the weather overlay.  The one thing I wasn't crazy about with the Navionics app was the fact that the screen is always oriented with north up... the Garmin app gives you the choice of north up or heading up.

The Active Captain data (for those who don't use it) gives you information about marinas, anchorages, safety issues, and user reviews.  And that information is contained in the app - you don't have to be connected to the internet for it to work.  Big plus.

Like the US & Canada coverage on Navionics, with the Garmin, you select the areas you will be cruising in and download the chart data from there (internet connection required for the download)... that way, you aren't taking up the HUGE memory that would be required to have all that info contained on the iPad (or other device).  It is easy to add other areas or delete areas you are no longer using.

If you are an Android user, no Garmin app for you!  At this time, it is iOS only.  Won't work on the original iPad, either (not enough internal memory).

Looks like I have a new favorite chartplotter app.


6 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

Thanks Captain! I think I see a Iphone in the future after the first of the year and knowing which Nav apps is of the utmost importance ;)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Tim - going to Havasu? May see you there.

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

I like it too, except for one annoying feature. In favorites, when I click on "home" it takes me to West Marine...now where did it get that silly idea...maybe it heard Sally say "Maybe you should just move in, would save us a lot of time..."... :-).

Keith Bennett said...

Hi Jim:
Thanks for the review. I am a bit confused (nothing new) as my Navionics on my iPhone 4s will do course up in addition to North up. In the lower left is the location arrow - pushing it takes you to your current location. Pushing it a second time then give you course up. Is yours different? If you want me to send you some screen shots let me know email address. Happy Holidays to you and the Blonde. -Keith@keithbennett(dot)org

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Charlie. What is that saying: "Home is where the boat stuff is"?? ;-)

Hi Keith. Joan has an iPhone4. North up on that. Same on our gen1 iPad. I'll try pressing the location arrow twice and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Keith, interesting - I have both an HD version (central US) and the US & Canada version of Navionics... yep, heading up on one but not the other. Thanks for the tip!