Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The high-paying, fast-paced world of inflatable repair...

So, today I'm about to try to re-glue the floor back to the tubes. I bought a 2 part epoxy made for this, I've cleaned up the long area, but when "test fitting," I can't get the seams to line up. If the tubes are fully inflated, I can't stretch the floor far enough; if the tubes are slightly deflated, I can line up the pieces, but there are puckers. This is my first go-round with inflatable repair... I asked for some help on my favorite forums.

Here's the problem...



Even if you aren't familiar with boats, it's pretty clear that the bottom of the boat should NOT be open to the water.

My response on one forum...

The problem isn't holding the floor on, the issue is getting the seam to lay flat long enough to stick. The floor is flexible pvc, as are the tubes.I may try duct tape, going inch by inch... glue a little, try to hold it in place with the tape, repeat... a bunch of times.

Looking on inflatable sites, it sounds as this is not for the "amateur"... I would classify my inflatable repair experience as: none. One inflatable dealer said that they don't try these repairs, they send 'em back to the manufacturer. I don't even know how much I don't know! Rolling Eyes

"Test fitting" showed us that inflated all the way doesn't work. Uninflated doesn't work... tomorrow, I will try partially, mostly, but not quite all the way inflated. Wink Worst case scenerio: I'm out the $27 for the epoxy. Well, OK, the worst case scenerio is I'm out $27 for the epoxy, I accidentally get glue on my hands, try to indiscreetly pick my nose, get my finger stuck in there, have to go to the half-ass medical clinic here, and some guy with a mail order medical certificate knocks me out, gets his cousin a new kidney, and I still have my finger stuck in my nose. Other than that, what could possibly go wrong? 
Twisted Evil

I'll go after it again tomorrow.







No comments: