Sunday, January 20, 2013

When the going gets tough, the tough...

... lie in the sun and watch someone else work.  Well, that's the way little Izzy does it...



Another gorgeous day in the Tropical Tip.  People are out and about; playing golf, fishing, boating.  Joan was doing laundry, so I felt like I should be doing something constructive.  I tried to let that feeling pass, but the guilt got to me.  We have been discussing how we are going to clean the bottom of the boat.  It has been in the water for 2 1/2 months, not moving as much as usual, and there is some green "fur" that needs to come off.  The local boatyard quoted me "an arm and two legs" to pull it out with their travel-lift and pressure wash the bottom.  I usually go anchor in shallow water, put on a wetsuit, get out the scrub-brush, and git 'er done... the water is too cold for me to get in there right now!  Yes, even with a wetsuit.

I suggested that I could get out the inflatable dinghy and get as much of the bottom that I could reach from that.  Remember that old saying about draining the swamp and being up to your ass in alligators?  We haven't had the dinghy out in a couple years... I was informed, "The dinghy is a mess - it will need to be cleaned before you can use it."

Hmmm... I have to clean the dinghy before I can use the dinghy to clean the boat bottom.  This is getting complicated.  I pulled the dinghy out of our storage area... yep, it was pretty grubby.  I inflated it (held my breath, hoping for no leaks - it's all good), got some soapy water and a brush, and went after it.  Apparently, seeing me do that made the Blonde feel guilty and she said, "I'll clean the bag the dinghy was in."  That was even grubbier than the dinghy... but, I did go over that inside and out with the brush.  She was determined to make the bag look like new, cleaning it with bleach.  Of course, that made me feel guilty, so after thoroughly scrubbing the dinghy, I got some Clorox Wipes (no actual bleach in those) and really scrubbed on the dinghy.

Apparently, that made Joan feel guilty, so she went into the boat and removed cushions and bedding to clean those...


Someone has to put an end to this escalation... I quit feeling guilty.  But, between the sun and the hard work, I declared the boat bottom would have to wait for another day.

In the meantime, little Izzy was getting worried... "When they clean like this, it means we are going somewhere!  Now what??"

I told Izzy that she could relax; she has a little more time around here.  Then, I invited the Blonde for a late lunch or early dinner  (Linner?  Dinch?) out and some time at the beach.  The meal was so-so, but watching the water was relaxing.

Which leads me to another of my favorite sayings: "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."  But, I do have the cleanest dinghy in the neighborhood. ;-)


2 comments:

Herb Stark said...

I know your boat will fit in my lift. Bring it over and use my pressure washer on it in the sling.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

You da man, Herb! Good to talk to you tonight... see you tomorrow. Thanks!