Monday, January 28, 2013

Wild Blue gets a rest, and THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

We pulled Wild Blue out today, cleaned her up, and put her in storage.  It's always sad to see that beautiful boat in storage, instead of covering miles on the water.  Oh, well, we are ready to move on with some land traveling.

On the way home from the storage yard, I got an e-mail from Canon Service.  I had sent them binoculars to be repaired.  It took SEVEN e-mails to them to get one response... and all I was looking for was the address and procedure for repairs.  The biggest issue with the binoculars was the fact that the exterior was disintegrating... really, anything that was rubber on the exterior was turning into a sticky slime.  Then, the image stabilization quit working.

I had to make a post on the Canon sponsored owners forum in order to get someone to return my e-mail request for service information.  I tried to put that behind me and do what was necessary to get the binoculars repaired.  After the Canon service facility received the binoculars, it was several days before any confirmation from them regarding receipt.  I got a bill for around $150.  The repair was put into process and I was told, "5 to 7 days"... that was 19 days ago.  Now that I had a phone number and a repair number, I decided to call to see why there was no word from Canon regarding the completion of the repair.

Shortly after that, I received a new bill... for $836.41.  Seriously???  No mention of anything out of the ordinary until after I called.  I called again, outraged, and spoke to a customer service person who said, "A supervisor will call you right back."  That never happened.

Here is the last message I posted on that Canon forum:

-------------------------

OK, one more follow-up.  It is now 17 days after my previous post.  The bill for that repair was supposed to be around $150.  I was told it would take "5 to 7 days" for the repair.  When I contacted customer service today to see why it was taking longer than the "5 to 7 days", I received a new bill...

FOR $846.31

I was told the new charge was because the binoculars "had been immersed in water."  ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!!  Never even used in the rain.  That price, by the way, is more than the binoculars originally cost.  I thought I was finally able to get the service work I have trying to arrange, FOR MONTHS, accomplished.  There was no mention of this SUPPOSED immersion damage in the first repair estimate.  Let this be a lesson for those who have purchased Canon products and try to get a repair done: be quiet; don't question how long a repair will take, even if they tell you "5 to 7 days"  and you patiently wait nearly three times that length of time.  Question them, and the bill will more than quadruple!

I am angry and appalled.  I have no doubt that this new bill was issued as a punitive action for contacting customer service to find out why the repair was taking longer than I was originally told.

I called customer service again this afternoon to question this new, outrageous, charge, and I was told a supervisor would be calling me right back.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but that didn't happen, either.

I don't need another apology from someone at Canon - I need CUSTOMER SERVICE.  Not lip service.

Sincerely,
Captain James B

-----------------------

On edit: one of the C-Brats asked me what a new pair of 10x30is binoculars sells for... I had to look it up: $419.99, with free shipping from Amazon.  That is LESS THAN HALF what those vile bast... um, people whose parents never married... at Canon tried to charge me to fix an old pair.

Now, I am REALLY pissed!

No comments: