Saturday, January 12, 2013

You want me to eat dirt??

Road trip this weekend: Joan's Mother's 87th birthday.  So, 600 miles north to the Dallas area.  Our high today was going to be in the low 80s... We just got here... 37 degrees!  Seriously - adding insult to injury, it's raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock, and the wind is out of the north... making it all suck even more.  Oh, wait -  we're sitting in the rental car (we left Big Red back in the Tropical Tip), 'cause Joan's brother isn't here.  But, they should be back in a half hour or so.  Fun!

Other than the typical crazy-ass drivers in this part of the country (really, we've traveled all over this country - the drivers in this state are the most aggressive I have ever seen), it was just a long driving day.  Not towing, we tossed our leisurely travel style... only drove about 5 mph above the posted speed limit most of the way... which put us about 20 mph slower than most.  Crazy-ass!

Along the way, Joan broke out "treats"... some kind of chocolate chip energy bar.  "You don't fool me with that crap - what are the ingredients?  Dirt and twigs."

She read the ingredients list to me... about 20 things I didn't recognize (and definitely didn't sound appetizing), and the very last thing (which also means the least ingredient): chocolate chips.

"Oh, just try it - we used to sell a lot of these in the Tetons"

I was a good boy... I took a bite.  "I'm sorry," I said, "I was wrong.  I thought it was going to taste like dirt and twigs... it tastes like dirt and sawdust!"

It was a long drive.


2 comments:

Dave Gibson said...

LOL! A loooong drive.

My vote for the country's most aggressive drivers in Connecticut. I used to drive about six miles on I-95 and it was rare that I didn't see at least one accident.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

They don't have fender-bender type accidents here... they are more like NASCAR multi-car pile ups!