Sunday, March 24, 2013

I had a date today...

With a younger woman.  Yes, Joan knows... she helped me pick out what I was wearing.  We had a nice lunch out, walked arm-in-arm, and just had a very special time together.  Of course, I'm talking about our sweet daughter, Stephanie.  It is really nice to have an occasional Daughter/Daddy day.

Dan had a foodie project he was working on at home.  Joan was doing our taxes.  The timing was good for Steph and me to have the time together.  Very nice.

On our way home, we received a text from Dan, letting me know the windshields for the scooters had been delivered.  Another project.

My date brought me back home and walked me to the door... then came inside and visited with my wife.  How often do you get to write that? ;-)

Joan and Steph had plans for the four of us for the night: we're going bowling.

When Steph left, we had less than an hour before they'd be back to pick us up for a night out.  As I went out the door, Joan asked, "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to install some windshields."

"I don't think you have time for that," she said.

"We'll see," I replied confidently.  I had checked it out on YouTube ahead of time.  I not only knew where the connectors were to remove the current little blip of a "windscreen," I knew what tools I'd need for the job.  I had the first one done in 15 minutes, including the time to get the tools out...


The second one took less than 10 minutes.  The before...


And after...


I think they look sportier with the original, but the new windshields are taller and should provide better protection.  I put the tools away and was about to take one of the scoots out on the road for a test ride... but, our "double date" for the night showed up just as I put the key in.

-----------------------------

Bowling ain't what it used to be...

It has been over a decade since I've been in a bowling establishment.  The first thing I noticed was the noise level: pounding music, the bangs and roars from the huge video arcade near the entrance.  The place was packed.  Lots of crowd noises.  I could see this was going to be a very different experience from the nice quiet, discussion-oriented date I had earlier.

While getting shoes, the nice young lady behind the counter looked us over and said, "Everyone here is over 21, right?"

Keen observation.  Steph said, "This is good."  We walked past a sign that read "You must be 21 to enter," and it immediately got quieter.

"Yeah, this is better."

We were apparently the first ones in the "grown-ups" section.  The lights were low.  We walked through a bar area and into another section of bowling lanes... it looked more like a combination of a sports bar and a disco: there were huge TV screens on the wall above the pins... flashing lights between the alleys... swirls of lights on another wall.  I may be able to blame my poor bowling skills (Do you call it a "skill" if you don't have any ability?) on all the distractions.

We put on the shoes (these haven't changed much in the past decade), Steph programmed our names into controller on the lane, and we were ready to go to work... um, play.  No "desk" for someone to keep score - it's all automatic.  No "practice frame" - the automatic controller starts keeping score when the first ball is rolled...


Dan was first up.  He had been on a league... over a decade ago.  When he tossed that first ball, it was apparent the guy had skills.  I was just hoping to not embarrass myself.  Steph put our names in what I assumed was "skill ranking" - Dan, Joan, me, her.  Joan had also been in a league... back in the early 80s.

I was right about the distractions... flashing lights, huge screens, music blasting.  Sensory overload.  Joan showed good form...


Her bowling was pretty good, too.  One thing hadn't changed since was last around the lanes: the jumps of joy and the walk of shame right after the balls were tossed.

The swagger...


The thrill of victory...



And the agony of defeat...






And that automatic scoring was slick...


There were animated pins on the score screen that laughed at you went you missed and looked frightened when you made a strike.  And announced to the world when you left a frame open...


Even told you when you needed to start the next game....


My goal was to break 100.  As you can see, I am an over-achiever.  Even though I was never on a league, my athletic abilities came back - I am proud to say I bowled a 237 (hey, it impressed our waiter later)... well, if you added the first and second games together.

Speaking of the waiter, other people were enjoying food and drink while bowling... and the food looked good!  We dined at the restaurant in the bowling alley.  More over-load: music and bubbling water in the walls.  And, a varied menu.  Steph said, "I'd come back here just for the food, and forget that bowling stuff."  Yes, she is a lot like her father.  ;-)

The kids dropped us off at home.  I did the best I could to hide my aches and pains when we told them, "Good night!"

A date and a double date all in the same day.  Whew!


2 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Not to mention two strikes in the 10th Frame!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I understand physics, Charlie. Now, if I could just throw that damn ball the way my mind tells my arm to do it, the score would be better. Apparently, you have to do this more often than once every ten years or so to show improvement. ;-)