Saturday, March 9, 2013

O-Dark:30...

Our sweet daughter and son-in-law are off for a week on Kauai.  We will be kitty-sitting and keeping an eye on their home while they are lying on the beach.  I guess it's payback from when Joan and I would go to Hawaii and Steph house-sat and kitty-sat for us.

I don't recall her taking us to the airport... especially at an ungodly hour.  This morning, we were up at 4:00 to get ready and pick them up before 5:00.  That's 5:00 am.  I got to see something I haven't seen here before: dew.  The car was dripping wet... OK, could have been from rain overnight... I didn't sleep soundly, for concern of over-sleeping and not getting them to the airport on time.

Little Isabella couldn't figure out what was going on, as we got ready to head out... "Um, you people are going to feed me before you go, aren't you?"

"Yes, Isabella, even though we'll be back before your normal breakfast time."

It was cool when we stepped outside... 43º.  I had to use the defroster to keep the windshield clear - not typical.  Of course, being out and about at 4:30 in the morning isn't typical, either.  Joan said, "I can't remember the last time we were up this early."

I said, "I do.  I had to take a rough-running boat from Friday Harbor to Bellingham last summer, and you got up early to help me get shoved off.  This is better: I know I will be able to go back to bed soon."

The kids were cheery when we picked them up.  If they had any last-minute-what-did-we-forget jitters, it didn't show.  Hey, they are off to Hawaii - plenty to be cheery about!

The traffic was light, only an occasional blurry-eyed driver weaving between lanes.  We pulled up to the departure area at the Sky Harbor Airport, got their bags out of the truck, and hugs.  No parking, no waiting... buh-bye.

I can almost hear the ukulele music... thinking about Hawaii makes me smile... thinking about flying commercially to get there doesn't.  I hope they have a fun, relaxing time!  Now, I'm going back to bed.  ;-)


2 comments:

Bill K said...

I was bringing my C-Dory home from Florida last Wed. and woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep so was on the road by 4 am.
Drove 12 hours and got home in Toledo,ohio at 6 pm.

I am still catching up. LOL

C-Dory right outside back door. :))

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

New boat syndrome will do that to you, Bill. ;-) Nice to have that boat where you can keep an eye on it!