Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rode the scooters all the way to Key West!

That wasn't the plan.  Really, we were just out for a little pleasure ride.  Going east on Indian School Road, I was looking for Avondale Blvd.  It must not go through, so we made a turn on what appeared to be a major north/south road.

We wound up in the housing development we drove through last week - the one with some of the homes on small lakes.  Next thing I know: Key West!


I must have been distracted, 'cause I didn't recall driving A1A or crossing the 7 Mile Bridge.  I like developers with a sense of humor.  Here's what counts as "waterfront" homes...


You can see a very small skiff in the foreground and a pontoon boat at the dock on the right.  Beats the heck out of looking at sand and gravel (IMHO).

Another fuel up, another Joan over 100 mpg, me just under.  And that was with our "high speed" runs from the other day.

We had similar takes on the new windshields: they definitely make a difference in wind on your torso.  Since it changes the windflow, there is more wind noise in my helmet above 35 mph.  Overall, I'd say it is an improvement.  It will probably make a difference with our other helmets.

I put the V-Strom up for sale on an adventure riding forum.  They are a popular bike there.  After a couple hours, I have already had some serious inquiries.  The bike is in Texas, though, so it will be a couple weeks before we are able to do anything with it.  More on that as it plays out.

Next project coming up: loading the bikes in the back of the truck to get them across town for their break-in service.


2 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

I think you should switch bikes with Joan and see if the mileage reverses. It might be the bike!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Charlie, I am quoting here: "Mine!" I rode her bike to the Post Office last week... it felt just like mine. Weight makes a difference. I'm completely OK with 99 mpg vs her 105. I figured the mileage in the press was just hype. I be a happy boy! :-)