Monday, April 1, 2013

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...

Though my ass is swollen.  Keep those wheels a rollin'.  I-10.

We pointed the rig east, with the plan to make as many miles as we could take.  There were several accidents on I-10 in Phoenix, so we didn't pull out until 9:00.  Heading east, we are going to lose two hours with the time zones.

We blew past our occasional stop of Benson.  By the time we passed Willcox, I had my sights set on Demming, NM.  You may have heard me say there isn't much across eastern Arizona, all of southern New Mexico, and the vast west Texas.  Well, today, we were entertained by dust devils...


I stopped counting after a dozen.  On the bright side, the wind was mostly a tailwind!

We stopped frequently, since we can't see the U-Haul trailer behind the 5th wheel.  Yep, we look for the shadow.  And stop at almost every rest area.

This rig went by us several times...


It was a rickety-looking trailer piled high with stuff.  I expected to see that stuff spread all across the desert, but as far as we know, it held together.

With the tailwind, we averaged better than 10 miles per gallon.  We came upon Demming, and set the GPS for El Paso.  An accident combined with construction putting 3 lanes into 1 slowed us through Las Cruces.  Well, it stopped us for a while... it made the long driving day seem even longer.

By the time we pulled into the campground just inside the Texas border, it was this time...


We hurried to get setup while there was still light...


Little Izzy was a superb traveler today - never made a fuss.  She settled in quick when we got down...


We did over 400 miles today; not bad considering the frequent stops.  Less than 1/3 of the way home, and the rest of it is all in Texas... 550 miles of it in west Texas.

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...


3 comments:

Bill K said...

Looking at that rickety trailer and how many strap's I see on the port side I think that they are what held it together. LOL

Bill Kelleher

Dave Gibson said...

Watch it, Jim, you're showing your age! How many of us remember the theme to Rawhide? :)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yeah, Dave, my age has been showing for a long time. ;-)