Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Yes, Dear...

I have a motto: never do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow.  That rarely works out for me.  Today, it was time for Izzy's annual trip to visit Julie the Vet - check up time.  Little Iz is good with traveling, but she knows when the trip is to the vet... and even though it's "for her own good," she knows that strange people are going to poke her, prod her, and stick a thermometer up her butt.  She really doesn't like that.

As the examination came to an end, Julie said, "That is interesting - Izzy's weight is exactly the same as last year, right to the tenth of an ounce."  Julie declared her "very healthy," remarked about her pretty fur, and Izzy scampered back into her carrier.  "Yeah, I'm pretty, now get me outta here!"

We took Iz home and got the scooters out - time for lunch.



Joan was in the mood for pizza, I was in the mood for food... pizza it is.  The waitress at Pizza Hut knows us - she brings our Diet Pepsi as soon as she sees us sit down.  She knows what we are going to order for a pizza.  The food is good, the service is nice.  When she brings our check, she brings us Diet Pepsi in to-go cups.  That works out great when we have the truck... not so good when we're on scooters.  Joan didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her we didn't have a way to carry the sodas on the scooters... so, out the door we went, with a plan of figuring out what to do with sodas on scooters.

After trying various places that didn't work, I decided to just hold the cup in my left hand while driving.  OK, not the best solution... but Joan really didn't like my idea of standing the cups up under the seat!  This sorta works on a scooter, since you are not operating a clutch with your left hand.  Of course, that means you are running the throttle and the front brake with your right hand, while that is the only thing holding you onto the scooter.  I had real misgivings about this.

In spite of that, we made it home just fine.  Oh, this is the Tropical Tip of Texas, it is warm and humid, and the to-go cup was sweating way more than I was.  But, nothing spilled, no close calls.

The original plan for the afternoon was to get the boat out of storage.  When we got home, I had a few phone calls to make, and Joan started on some laundry.  She then said, "Would you be OK with putting the boat off until tomorrow so I can get this laundry done?  You can go for a scooter ride."

She didn't have to ask me twice.  I put on a helmet and gloves and set out... I wanted to stop by Herb and Wilma's to tell them good-bye, since they are going out on business and we won't see them again until we all get to Washington State.  Herb and I visited about motorhome stuff, while Wilma made repeated trips carrying stuff into their coach.  Yeah, this looks familiar.

Good-byes done, I was off.  Well, almost... apparently my scooter doesn't have enough mass to set off the gate where Herb lives; I had to get off the scooter, walk around the gate, and punch in the code to get it to open.  I guess it's not just the other drivers who can't see me. ;-)

When I got home, Joan thanked me for getting out from under foot while she got the laundry done... "Yes, Dear; glad to do my part."

--------------------------------

I had to chuckle today... since we are heading out soon, Joan said to get a couple things ordered that I have been looking at.  One of those things was some riding shoes, something less heavy than riding boots, but more than plain ol' sneakers.  I liked the look and reviews of the TCX X-street waterproof high-tops... leather, with a casual look, and grippy soles.  I called a place to make sure they had my size in stock and ordered them.  The young man on the phone was very pleasant and helpful.  Looking at their website, they specialize in performance stuff.  He asked, "What kind of a bike do you ride?"

When I said, "A Honda PCX," there was a pause, then... "Oh."


No comments: