Saturday, June 29, 2013

Lighthouses: 2, Whales: 12

There was one family who chartered the boat today.  The note in our schedule book read, "They want to see lighthouses."

Well, that's pretty easy - the lighthouses don't move like the whales.  ;-)

My first mate/naturalist brushed up on lighthouse history and facts - she was ready.  I had the feeling things might change.

When we got them on the boat, it was 3 adults and 5 teenagers.  The dad paying for it wanted to see lighthouses... as I expected, everyone else wanted to see whales.

My solution: "Let's do a 2-fer.  There are some great lighthouses around here AND we'll go right by where the whales are reported to be - everyone wins!"  They liked that idea.  We wound up doing a whale watch/lighthouse viewing/wildlife tour.

The weather was beautiful: sunny and warm.  A bit humid.  I thought I might have forgotten how to sweat, but it came back to me quickly.  ;-)  The temp pushed well into the 70s... the first time since we've been here.  Once on the water, I was comfortable in two layers, instead of my usual four.  That's right, we blew right on past 3 layers.

Knowing where I'd find the whales, I had to decide what route.  Running a fast boat today, I decided to run against the current, see a nice lighthouse first, then get onto the whales, run north and see another lighthouse or two, then find some eagles and other wildlife.

It all fell into place.  The whales...


A momma and baby...


I didn't even think about getting photos until we were ready to move on.  Running north in Haro Strait to the next lighthouse, this was my view...


Once we left the whales, there weren't a lot of other boats along our route.  Just like yesterday, you have to time things so you don't get back too late or early... and keep things interesting along the way.  I enjoy that challenge.  I was working with a first mate who hadn't ridden with me in a while, so I got to show her (and the guests) a new eagles' nest.  And, look at that water in the photo above - less than 1 foot chop in Haro Strait... it was a lovely ride.

Back at our dock, the dad asked if some of the youngin's could see the helm area... "Sure."  I brought them up one at a time, because there isn't a lot of extra room.  "What's that for?"  "I didn't know you'd have a steering wheel!"  "Is that what we heard you talking on?" referring to the radios.

I was done shortly after 5:00, and Joan got off at the same time... we actually got to walk home together.  That was nice.  Tomorrow, I'm back to the other side of the island again.

It feels like summer is here.


No comments: