Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mega...

A great day on the water today!  I was training a new young captain on this boat, so we spent some extra time going through the prep process.  I had a good report on the whale activity, the guests were excited, the weather was perfect... and we had a great whale viewing!  Nice when it all comes together like that.

No crazies on the boat, just some ol' crazy guy in a small boat at the dock as we were ready to shove off.  One more day to go to make it through the the full moon phase.  ;-)

As we approached the whales today, the majority of boats already on the scene were towards the shore.  I could see an active group of whales moving off-shore, explained to our trainee my reasoning, and positioned us off-shore... sometimes you get lucky, sometimes it's a hunch, sometimes it's skill... I can't say which today, but it was the right move.  We had whales and didn't have to be in the "conga-line" of other boats trying to keep pace with one whale.  When I say "whales," we had two males, three females, and a young one, all from L-Pod.  At one point, Mega (his name is a good description of his size), L-41, gave us an exceptional view!

To make things even better, the sun was shining, the temp was pleasant, the wind was light, and the water in Haro Strait was nearly flat!  With another captain onboard, I was able to leave the helm to visit with guests... that's a nice treat (since my helm is on a fly-bridge above the guests).

A fine day on the water.




No comments: