Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Whoa, that's early...

I got a call last night: "Can you do an early charter tomorrow?"

"Sure... um, what's 'early'?"

Turns out "early" was an 8:00 departure.  Which means be at the boat at 7:00.  Which means I have to leave Friday Harbor at 6:15.  Which means I'll just have enough time if I get up at 5:30.

Here's another interesting tidbit about life on a boat: if one person is up early, we're all up early.  Joan packed me a lunch (well, more like a late breakfast), made breakfast, and let me shower first ('cause whoever showers last has to wipe down the shower).  AND, she had to go into the Friday Harbor office early to open, so she was on a schedule, too.  Izzy's only schedule was: "Hey, you better feed me before you leave!"

We made it work.

The weather forecast was for temps in the mid-50s, wind 15-20, rain, and a weather warning for possible thunderstorms, with rain up to 1/4" in 30 minutes and wind gusts to 40 around the storms.  Yeah, that sounds like a fun time on the water, especially knowing we were heading into Haro Strait.

The weather weasels were wrong: it only rained about 30% of the time we were out, very little wind, no thunderstorms... and Haro Strait was nearly calm.  But, it was plenty chilly; I had 4 layers on and needed every one of them.

Coming back in, I saw a familiar sailboat.  I pulled out the binoculars... yep, AZ registration... Sean and crew from the s/v Dauntless (the guy who puts on the Havasu sailing event we attended).  I hailed him from our flybridge, and he came by to visit while we were cleaning up after the charter.  Sounds like they are having fun in the San Juans (in spite of the weather).

Back to Friday Harbor for the afternoon; I think I am going to need a nap, assuming I can work one in.  ;-)


No comments: