Saturday, July 20, 2013

Never gets old...

My friend, Gene, from my favorite sailing forum thought I might be getting tired of our time with the whales.  My response...

--------------


It is never the same thing twice. Some days they are very active, other days they are simply milling. It is fascinating to see them in their environment, see the family dynamics.

Many of our guests get on the boat thinking this is going to be an "amusement park" ride... until I let them know that we have federal and state rules we have to follow for distance and speed; how far we will have to go (assuming we have a solid report), sea conditions, etc, etc. Due to what they see in SeaWorld, many of them also think that Orcas spend their days doing one breach after another.

My two seasons here have taught me a lot. I understand more about the plight of these animals. I have seen a newborn shortly after birth. The life and death drama of the food chain. The callous stupidity of some boaters on the water. The enlightened looks on guests' faces when they learn more about all the wildlife in the area.

We are approaching the 2/3 point of our time here, and are deep into the busiest part of the season. Family and friends who visit don't understand our crazy schedules.

Yep, it can be exhausting, but it is never boring.



2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

I can't see how it could Ever Be Boring or get old!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Well, when the whales are just milling, I have heard guests ask the naturalists, "Is that all they do?" ;-)