Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Captain and the Admiral...

Joan and I drove over to Roche Harbor so I could take the late afternoon trip on the whale watch boat.  It was a treat to have Joan on the boat with me.

We shoved off in the warm sunshine.  I understand that "warm" is a relative term, especially when much of the country is still in a heatwave... it was in the upper 70s in Roche Harbor, the warmest we've seen this season.

I told the guests that we have a VIP onboard... and introduced Joan as "the admiral."  Then added, "The only time she can't tell me how to drive is when we're on a boat I'm running."  It got a few chuckles.

I had a solid report on the whales' location.  At the far end of the island, out into Haro Strait.  I estimated it would take us an hour and 20 minutes to get there.  In the meantime, it was an absolutely beautiful day on the water.  Joan took a photo of me at the helm...


We were going through Mosquito Pass.  When we got into a more open area, I took a photo of Joan at the helm...


You can see the blue sky and nearly flat water in the background.  We cruised down the west side of San Juan Island... not much traffic in the late afternoon.  I checked the horizon for spouts, always scanning for whales; in the meantime, I kept us pointed for the position where they were reported.

Joan always sends me off to work with a lunch or a snack.  She made sandwiches on focaccia bread and had a container of fresh cut fruit for us.  It was like having a picnic while the pretty scenery around us rolled by.

When we came on scene, there were a couple other boats there; out in Haro Strait, and still beautiful water.  While I positioned the boat so the guests would have the best view, Joan took some photos...




The whales were moving mostly north, eventually getting closer to shore...


It was a nice viewing; after 45 minutes with the whales, it was time to head north again.  A warm breeze as we made the scenic run.  Joan took a photo of the Lime Kiln Lighthouse in the pretty late afternoon light...


Our arrival time back in Roche would be after the desk there closes; I got a call from them that our first mate would need to shuttle some passengers back to Friday Harbor for the ferry.  I told him, "You go ahead with the shuttle as soon as we get back, I'll get the boat fueled and cleaned."  He was grateful, since he had already put in a long day.  I knew I had good help for handling lines and getting everything put away (the Blonde).

We said good-bye to our guests, and Joan and I took the boat to the fuel dock - we got fuel just before closing time.  Then, back to our dock, and putting the boat away for the evening.  This was Joan's first time on this boat, but she is a great hand.  The boat is 42'... I put her on the dock, Joan handled the lines.  Together, we got the boat cleaned and put away for the day.

So, not really "a day off" for me, but it was a delight to have my Honey with me on the boat.  And, an absolutely beautiful day to be out on the water.


No comments: