Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The GoPro Saga...

I posted about the new GoPro I bought last week.  You’re probably wanting to see some results from that camera... so am I.

It didn’t work right out of the box.  After talking with customer support from Best Buy (completely worthless), I turned to GoPro directly.  They were more helpful, but told me the micro SD card I had for the camera was the problem.  It took a week to get another card shipped to us.

I put the card in last night and... no difference.  I keep spending money on stuff to make the camera work, and it continues to ignore the efforts (and expense).  This morning, I spent an hour with another GoPro tech support person, my new friend, Chance.

He and I went through a variety of things, all of which I had tried over the past week... I do have a small bit of experience with cameras and digital technology. ;-)  Nothing.  Nada.  The camera is still locked up after you turn it on.

My buddy Chance said, “It is a rare occasion, but once in a great while this happens.  We will replace your camera under warranty.”

And then began the discussion of temporary life on an island... and how we can’t just run down to the local FedEx terminal.  Chance was trying his best to work with me... my suggestion of, “How about I just beat this thing into dust and you send me another camera?” was rejected.

“If you will send us a copy of the receipt and the serial number of the camera, we will give you an RA (return authorization) number and you can send the camera back.  When we receive it, we will ship you out another camera.”

I explained to Chance that this was a birthday gift, non-functioning for the week of ownership thus far, and how I was hoping to get some use of it BEFORE we leave this area in another month and a half.  Again, he tried to work with me, allowing me to photograph the receipt, since we don’t have a copy machine on our boat and e-mail that proof.

Still not sure how I’m going to do the whole FedEx thing, but I’ll work on it.

In the meantime, I have grown to intensely dislike the camera.  I hope I can get beyond that if/when a replacement shows up.  It is frustrating to spend good money on a product and have it DOA when you open the box.  Then, spend more money on stuff that doesn’t fix the problem.  Then, get to do all the stuff to attempt a fix while on the phone with a tech support person that you have already done on your own.  It doesn’t inspire much consumer confidence.

Reading the reviews, I know I am not the only one dealing with this frustration.  Yeah, that really doesn’t make me feel any better about the situation.  I intentionally waited a couple months, thinking they would have the issues worked out... I am silly that way.

So, we’ll see how things go from here.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bummer. My HD Hero has been solid for 3 years.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi, Chris. I had read plenty of reviews regarding the Hero3 Black camera, and was aware people were having issues... I figured they'd have that taken care of by now. Ummm... nope.