Friday, July 19, 2013

Where did this come from?

We are living on the water.  I write about the weather, 'cause it hits us right in the face as we come and go from the boat.  Joan is up at 5:30 most work days... which means we're all up, even though I don't go into work until noon most days when I am driving a Friday Harbor boat.  This morning, Joan said, "Oh, it's foggy out there," followed by the long blast of the horn from the ferry.

I looked out the back of our boat to this...


Off to the side, it was this...


Hmmm... it made me think: we are 2/3 of the way through July, and I haven't had to drive in fog this season.  Well, not solid fog.  That makes for an unusual whale "watch" trip, when you can't see very far ahead.  ;-)  The boss has us run our radar on each trip to make sure we have them tuned in... it also helps determine when we are 1/2 mile from other boats around the whales (that's when we have to slow to 7 knots).

Generally, if there's fog, there's no wind.  That was the case today.  I put on some shoes and went out to get some other marina views:




As long as I'm not driving in traffic or potentially hazardous (rocky) areas, the fog is kinda pretty.


No comments: