Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fire!

It has been a very tough day.  My heart is aching for our business... well, not our business, but the business Joan and I work for.  The building, housing our office, a restaurant above, and several other businesses burned today... a total loss.

Here's the day...

We got up at 5:15 this morning.  Joan said, "I smell something burning."  She looked out the window of the boat and said, "It's coming from our building, I think."  She tossed on a coat and ran up the dock.  A minute or two later, she called and said, "It's Downriggers!  Our office is going to be gone!"

This was the view...


Another angle...


Looking out on the docks, our boats were gone!  Our office is at the right of this image, the square windows are offices in the back.  Then, the flames...


We had water taxi shuttles scheduled for starting at 7:00 am.  Two boats moving athletes and media people to a major event on Lopez Island.  Time for triage: Joan started out on the street, directing people around to a safe way to get to the docks.  Another business offered us their conference room to use as a temporary "nerve center"...


I "found" my boat...


We found the other boat out on the breakwater.  The other captain and I started coordinating the shuttles...

Within a couple hours, we had a "kiosk" set up in Memorial Circle, near what was left of our office...


I ran a couple shuttles, then came back to our docks.  I visited with the firemen about getting into the office, "Not yet, the fire really isn't under control.  We'll let you know."  He told me that they had moved our filing cabinets and computers up onto the counter and covered them with a tarp.  I can't say enough about what these fine people did to help save the records for our business.  The boss was able to get laptops and appointment books out earlier.

A short time later, the same fireman said, "You can go in briefly to get other stuff out, but they are still working above your office."  I called Joan and the boss, and went inside... my eyes teared up seeing what used to be our office.  I was ankle deep in water and the place had that horrible smoke smell.  The boss went for files in his office, Joan directed us on what to take out that was needed to keep the business running.  She truly is the hero for the continuation of this business.  I loaded a dock cart with all the boat parts and tools.  Brian (the boss) and I carried out what seemed like an endless row of file cabinets.  Other employees showed up and helped move the stuff we carried out to the boss's truck.  When the boss said, "That's it...", I pulled the doors shut and locked them for the last time.  Water was pouring through the lighting fixtures.  I couldn't bear to take a photo.

My back was aching, my legs were exhausted.  That awful smell of smoke was in my clothes and my hair.  I walked back to the boat to run the next shuttle.  I called Joan, "You OK?"  I could tell by her voice that she was holding it all together.  We had promised we wouldn't "take ownership", but this place means a lot to us... it's not just an office, it's where we started our work days.  It is where Joan greeted guests and scheduled people on boats and seaplanes.

The restaurant above and the businesses below are a total loss.  Here's Joan going over what we need with the boss...


The office, once the fire was out...


When I moved one of the boats out of the marina earlier, I was amazed that people thought they'd be able to buy fuel in the midst of the fire-fighting (nearby)...


When I got back from the last of the shuttles for my boat, this is what the restaurant looked like...


There are a lot of people in this area who have fond memories of Downriggers restaurant.  I recommended it to our guests when they asked about places to eat.  All the businesses below are goners, too... including our office.

No one was hurt.  The fire started in the middle of the night in the restaurant.  Fire crews from other islands came by ferry to help fight the fire.  The waterfront docks (Spring Street Docks) were closed during the morning.

Joan and I are exhausted.  I am writing this after a shower and an adult beverage.  We held each other and both teared up when we got home (back to our boat).  Our time here is getting short; we are ready to move on, but not this way.  We'll help in any way we can.

---------------------

The last shuttle of the day for me, I was waiting for one last guy to get on the boat.  I had directed the first mate to release the bow line.  Another captain was going to give us a push on our stern, since the wind was blowing us onto the dock.  Just as the first mate undid the bow line, I heard someone yell for help!

I looked behind our boat, and a guy on a large yacht had fallen in the water while lowering his dinghy from the davits.  I was down the ladder in a flash, and ran down the dock.  He was older, and unable to get himself to the dock.  I reached out and grabbed his arm, told the other captain to hold me.  We lifted the guy to where I could get a hand on his belt, and with the help of one of our passengers, we hauled him out.  He was shook, but otherwise unhurt... "I don't know what I would have done if you guys weren't there."

Just 5 minutes earlier, I was going over "Man Overboard" procedures with the first mate (I do that when we have any down time, while waiting).

I need an uneventful day.


4 comments:

Bill K said...

After all that at least you know that your heart is in good condition.
:)

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

;-) And my cholesterol is low, too.

Unknown said...

Wow, Jim, what a day. Glad to hear they were able to save so much for you.

Dave Gibson said...

Wow. Very sad, Jim. But no one was hurt and the businesses can rebuild.