Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Glowing...

We have a Wallas stove/heater in Wild Blue.  It has been perfectly functional all the time we have owned Wild Blue, except for one time... shortly after replacing batteries, the stove would not fire up (diesel stove that uses an electric pump).  I called Scan Marine (in Seattle) because I couldn't figure out the problem.  After a short time with a multi-meter while on the phone with Mike from Scan Marine, he said, "The problem is your battery."

I said, "No way!  I recently replaced those batteries."

Yeah, he was right.  One of the batteries had a bad cell; the Wallas requires proper voltage for start-up.  Confidence building.  And, just one of the many reasons I don't care for Interstate Batteries anymore.

We had an issue with the Wallas not starting the last time Joan turned it on.  I got out the book and discovered the unit was "locked up."  I went through the "unlocking procedure"... same thing.  I called Mike at Scan Marine.  He talked me through what to do, and the error code (flashing light sequence) came up: faulty glow plug.

"Is that a user serviceable item?" I asked.

"Yep.  I'll get one out to you right away - just need a credit card..."

He described the replacement process, which I'm sure it will make more sense when I have the new glow plug in hand; he also said I could call him again if I have any questions.

There are some C-Dory owners who have moved on from the Wallas.  It is not inexpensive; nor a simple design.  But, it is a multi-use (cooking and heat) item that fits in a reasonably small space and provides heat without adding moisture to the interior (external exhaust).

I like our Wallas.  It has given us good service.  In a few days, I'm hoping a new glow plug will get us up and functional with it again.  In the meantime, we have other options for cooking and heating.

Like anything boat related, it needs some maintenance.  I'm sure glad Joan is handy.  ;-)



-----------------------

More fog again this morning... no big surprise.  We were walking to our favorite breakfast place when I saw the ferry coming in.  Well, we heard the ferry coming in; didn't see it until it was 100 yards or so from the ferry dock...



No comments: