Sunday, August 18, 2013

Remember this...

A couple RV friends reminded me that we are retired... "Sure does not sound like you and Joan are retired, Jim."

The man makes a good point.  After Joan left for work this morning, I started a response...

-----------------------

I think I need to explain this whole "retired" thing to Joan once again.   Roll Eyes  This morning, as she was getting ready, with no idea where she was going to be for the day, I said to her, "Remember this moment.  We spent most of our adult life caring for our businesses.  I know you remember how free it felt when we sold all that?  And, for these 'fun summer jobs,' you are caring just as much.  Putting everything you have into it.  I know when October or November rolls around that you will start thinking about next summer.  Just remember what a 50 to 60 hour work week feels like.  Remember the emotional drain on you when Mother Nature messes with the schedule.  Remember what it's like trying to get a bunch of young employees to care as much as you do.  Then, think about a summer of wandering around.  Five summers working, three playing since we retired.  Just remember this when you think you might want to do this all again next year."

Right in the middle of writing this, I got a call from Joan... "Sorry to bother you.  I'm freezing out here at this table.  Could you bring me some socks and a jacket?"

"I'll be right there."

I delivered the socks and jacket, then relieved her at the table so she could go use the potty.  No other staff was there.  One of them did call to ask if Joan had rescued the paychecks (yes; and the payroll records; and this week's timesheets, etc, etc).  The bookkeeper was amazed: "You got it all."

Before I left, I took a photo of Joan (warmed up in her coat and socks), out on the sidewalk...



Being Joan, she brought a table cloth from the boat to make the table look more inviting.  She had nicely arranged things on the table.  It's what she does.

I said to her once again: "Remember this."

On my way back to the boat, the demolition of Downriggers was underway, 100 feet away from where Joan is sitting...



Definitely, the end of an era.  People are lining up their ducks... maybe not quite in a row, yet, but there is talk about the rebuilding.


2 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

:) You'd think you would be use to it by now, fortunately Joan likes to work in places you can pretend you are playing ;)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

You'd think, Tim. Maybe I am untrainable?? Having a day off gives me time to think... I think I'd like to really play. Joan told me to go rent a scooter today... I think I'll take my Honey to lunch, when she can get away.