Sunday, September 1, 2013

Last day musings...

We were up bright and early this morning.  5:30.  Joan said, "Well, this will be the last day of this early stuff."

We'll see; it takes my inner clock a while to adapt... even if I can sleep in, I generally don't.

I caught a ride up the hill with the Blonde on her way to work.  It's her last day of being a "commuter," made necessary since the fire.  She misses being able to walk to work... and the waterfront view from the office... but especially having some "face time" with the guests.

One of the guests on the boat yesterday said, "Joan said we'd like being on this boat - she said it has the best looking captain."

"She may be a bit biased," I said, "but, she does have good taste."

"She was SO nice on the phone.  Is that your wife?"

"Yes, ma'am.  We've been together since high school."

"Tell her we said 'thanks;'  we called all around for a whale watch and then called her back because she was the friendliest."

"She really does enjoy helping people have a good time," I said.

Before the fire, many of our guests would go back into the office to tell her about their time on the water with us... yep, she misses that.

Joan dropped me off at a little shop where I could get a breakfast sandwich; I like to start my morning off with something warm in my belly.  It is a beautiful morning; I enjoyed the walk back to the boat.  We both like the marina environment.  Here's a look as I walked down the main pier this morning...


People are getting out and about.  It was a very busy day in town yesterday, and I expect it will be more of the same today.

It will be my last day on the whale watch boat today.  Bittersweet... I enjoy getting the guests to the whales and providing an enjoyable experience... after 3 1/2 months in one place, I am ready to wander again.  Not necessarily by boat (since I've had plenty of boat time), but Joan needs some time on the water, too. 

The company boat is fueled up, the seats are supposed to be full, the weather is absolutely gorgeous... I am hoping for a good whale viewing to cap off our season here.  We are being asked, "Are you coming back next year?" regularly.  Too soon to decide that.  One day at a time... and this is our last day "on the clock."


1 comment:

Hudson River Boater said...

I was involved in the "People Pleasing Business Too" and enjoyed it as a snowmobile tour guide-- I too have been requested to be a guide again from some fine folks I took out for a ride...