Thursday, October 10, 2013

Beachy keen...

Ticking off the "to do" list (things I need to do when we're back in the Tropical Tip)... today was "beach time."

I took the GoPro camera, since it hasn't been used in a while.

Things are quiet around here.  We drove through the county RV park on the way to the beach...


As you can see, not may RVs there.  We drove to the parking area at the beach...


Only a couple other vehicles in the lot.  We walked down to the water - not much of a crowd here, either...


Well, if you look real close, you can see a group of seagulls...


We walked a mile or so down the beach, and didn't see a dozen people.  It was a warm, beautiful day; this is a nice time of year to have the beach to yourself.  The water is still warm... well, warm-ish... a LOT warmer than the water in the PNW!

This is one of the best walking beaches I have been on - the sand is firm towards the water. 


I tried to connect my new iPhone to the GoPro... no luck.  When we got home, I downloaded the most current software for the camera... same software that is on it.  Nonetheless, the GoPro Support Page suggests to reload it.  I did... still didn't work.  I reloaded the GoPro app... nope.  I called GoPro Customer Support, talked with a very nice young man... until we got cut off.  I called back and talked with another very nice young man, who told me to reload the camera software and the app.  Then, the stock response: "We will replace your camera under warranty."

Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.  I may have suggested that GoPro is having a problem with their cameras.  He may have implied that perhaps I dropped the camera.  I probably said something that denied that and suggested they have a less than great situation with this camera.  Pretty sure he said something along the lines of "This is the best selling camera on the market, with over 6 million of them sold."  Pretty sure I said something like, "And about 4 and a half million of them that actually work?"  To which he might have said, "There have been problems with less than 1% of the cameras."  I may have brought up that, "That would be 60,000 cameras???  Which REALLY sounds like a lot."  Then, we both took a breath.  I apologized for making him have to defend his product, he said that he understood my frustration.

I thanked him and hung up.  I reloaded the camera software once again.  AND the app on my iPad Mini.  It worked.  The remote for the camera worked.  The app with the iPhone 5s still didn't work... and that would be the best way to use this camera.  Sigh.

On the bright side, the camera still works.  I'm going to do a little digging around with the phone to see if I can make that GoPro app work.  On the really bright side, it was a beautiful day on the beach. :-)


No comments: