Monday, November 4, 2013

Like a Hornet's Nest...

It was a beautiful morning: 69º, clear sky, no wind... and brighter an hour earlier since Daylight Savings Time went away.  Joan suggested we have our morning beverage and pastries out on our deck - a fine suggestion!  We used to do this all the time, but it has been warm and windy.  As the sunlight crept over the horizon, the light on the Sea Cottages, looking towards the ICW, was striking...


Little Izzy sat out with us, keeping a close watch on the birds...


The birds were plenty active this morning, so there was a lot to watch.

We discussed the plan for the day: time to get the HitchHiker out of storage and start cleaning her up.  We had checked on it right after we first got back... grubby.  There were black streaks on the front cap that look like they are going to be tough to get off.  I cleaned and waxed that when we were in Arizona last spring, but the streaks came back even nastier.  The usual RV Black Streak Remover did nothing with these.

At the storage lot...


Joan picked up inside while I got things ready to hook up.  Together ('cause it's heavy), we put the hitch back in the truck.  While I was lowering the front landing gear, Joan said, "Don't move!"

"Wha-?"

"Seriously - don't move!  There is a wasps' nest right behind you!"

I turned very slowly...


Yep.  I had been working right beside that and never noticed it!!  We put together a plan: let's finish getting hooked up... the wasps didn't seem angry at this point... and right before we pull away, we'll knock the nest loose and get outta here!

It seemed like a reasonable plan, since we were this far into the process.  With the 5th wheel hooked up, the brakes and lights connected, and blocks off the wheels, I pulled the Love Shack slowly out of her slot.  We checked tires and lights.

Joan said, "You roll up the windows in the truck, I'll knock the nest off, run back to the truck, and we'll get out."

I said, "I have a better plan - the nest is on my side; you get in the truck, I'll knock the nest loose, get back in the truck, and we'll get out of here."

"Even better."

The wasps had been fairly inactive.  Until I approached with a stick.  I whacked the nest and took off running.  I didn't anticipate that it would take me a tenth of a second to open the door of the truck... by the time I shut the door, the wasps were right at the door, looking for a fight!  I looked around to make sure none of them got in with me... nope.  We pulled away.

We stopped to top off air in the tires and put the HitchHiker on the lot across from our house...


"Grubby" doesn't begin to describe our sweet 5th wheel.  We went through our cleaning supplies... roof cleaner: check; black streak remover: check; soap: check; wax: check.  The only problem: there are water restrictions in place, and you can wash your car or RV only on Wednesdays or Saturdays.  I tried the black streak remover on an inconspicuous place... nope, still not going to get the job done.  I pulled out the heavy-duty stuff: Atwood Hull Cleaner.  It is made to remove stains from boat hulls.  It doesn't say so on the outside of the container, but I assume (by the smell) that it is some percentage of muriatic acid... and it takes a lot of water flushing to rinse that stuff off.

I tried that on a small spot - the streaks are worse than any we've had on the boat, but it looks like with some serious elbow grease, this is going to work.  I put some water in a bucket, and took a brush to the area I cleaned with plenty of fresh water.  Of course, security drove by while I was doing this, but there was no hose out, so they didn't stop.

Looks like I will get tomorrow (Tuesday) off from coach cleaning, but I'm (we're) going to have to really go after it on Wednesday... then finish it up on Saturday.  Pretty sure I'll need those days in between to recuperate.

Joan had some work to do around the house and suggested I go exercise my scooter.  That might be code for "get out from under foot," but it sounded like a good plan to me.  I had mentioned on the NuWa forum, in a thread about gas/oil/energy consumption, our use of the scooters... "We might have to hook both of them together to tow the HitchHiker..."

Looks like one will do it...


It might move it, but stopping is going to be a real issue! 

On my way out of the resort, I heard a snarling motorcycle behind me.  I decided to wait at a stopsign... yep, my friend, Rodney, who I haven't talked to in a while.  I suggested we stop in the parking lot out front and visit.

He usually rides a Victory motorcycle, this was a Honda with a BIG v-twin... "Where's your Victory," I asked.

"Aw, I decided to put it back up north, out of the salt air.  I bought this as my Tropical Tip bike - it's a Honda VTX - 1800.  And, what's that?" pointing at my PCX.

"You mean my 'hog'?  This is the most fun I've had on two wheels in a long time."  We visited for a while, then I asked him, "You wanna take it for a spin?"

He said, "I was hoping you'd ask."

After a short lesson (no clutch - pull that lever and you're going to stop; no shifting - your left foot is going to be looking for something to do; just twist the grip and go... oh, but don't 'rev' the bike, or you're going to be going whether you intend to or not."

He had paid careful attention... "So, how do you shift?  This little button?"

"No, that's the starter.  No shifting."

"How does it get in a different gear?"

"Just like your jetski - no shifting.  Really.  Twist the grip and you will go."

Like every motorcyclist, he started to rev the throttle... "Don't do that unless you are ready to move!  Remember?  No clutch.  Twist and GO!"

He offered me his 1800... I looked at the pipe right next to where my leg would be (I'm in shorts)... "You ever burn yourself on that?" I asked.

"Yeah.  You have to kinda put your leg out to the side when you stop."

"I think I'll just wait here for you."

He took off.  I checked the heat on that pipe, then climbed on the bike.  It was BIG.  HEAVY.  I didn't even bother to start it.  Looking at those forward controls made my back hurt.  Yeah, I had that on a Harley... years ago.  Many years ago.

He was gone longer than I expected.  Either he's having fun... or, he got hit by a bus.  Musta been the fun thing, 'cause he pulled back into the parking lot with a big smile on his face... "That IS a lot of fun!  I missed putting my feet up once - this thing is really narrow compared to mine."

Might be the fact that the big Honda weighs over 750 pounds?

"I could really see something like that, especially here, on and off the island."

"Yeah, it isn't designed to be eating up miles on the Interstate... but, it doesn't get much easier when running around town.  And, it's fun in the twisties, too."

I have previously mentioned that I have come "full circle": started on a Honda 150 46 years ago, here I am again on a Honda 150.  The real difference: these day's I'm not lusting for something bigger.  ;-)

No comments: