Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Love that waterfront...

Corpus Christi is a big city - over 300,000 population.  One of my favorite places in the city is that beautiful waterfront... the city marina with the buildings in the background...


We started our time in Corpus with a run down SPID (South Padre Island Drive).  Joan let me pick where I wanted to eat lunch; my choice: the Schnitz  (aka Weinerschnitzel).  Not fancy, but it makes up for it by being messy.  We did some shopping... more looking than buying, but we enjoyed looking around.

There was a Taylor Road Show here two nights ago... I didn't find out about it until that night!  I have been wanting to take in one of these Road Shows, but we are never close enough.  For those not into guitars, Taylor is a guitar manufacturer; their "Road Show" takes new, unique, and lots of guitars around the country to guitar shops.  You come in, they play some guitar, give away some strings and t-shirts, let you play some guitars... and assume there will be something you just can't go home without.  Good for you, good for Taylor, and good for the guitar shops.  This one was held at a guitar store called Sound Vibrations... I wasn't familiar with that shop, but assumed it had to be a good place if they were putting on a Road Show.  I just wanted to see the place...


The neighborhood looked a bit... um, in transition.  Joan often waits for me in the truck while I go into guitar shops; this time, she said, "I think I'll go in with you."  Once inside, I think she enjoyed it.

This is a real guitar shop: there were guitars hanging on the walls, amps all over the place... a bit cramped feeling, but authentic.  I met my young new best friend, Eric, and he took me into their acoustic room.  He said, "I am a BIG fan of Taylor - you and I will get along fine!"  They had some beautiful examples of Taylor's finest, along with other brands.  Eric told us about his recent visit to the Taylor factory.  He was excited to put some truly fine guitars in my hands... and I didn't mind that one bit.

It was a fun visit.  No, nothing followed me home.  But, when I win the lottery, this will be one of my shopping stops.  I will so come back to this store.

From there, it was a short drive to the waterfront.  Maybe we just aren't here at the right times, but it seems to me that the Corpus Christi waterfront area is underutilized - a nice city run marina, a pretty promenade-type wide sidewalk along the water, a couple seafood restaurants, nearby hotels, stair-step seating on the seawall.



Another day or so, and we'll be back home.


No comments: