Thursday, December 19, 2013

A day late and a dollar...



Well, I already paid the dollars.  The outboard motor showed up today... while I was out getting some u-bolts for adapting a two wheel truck into an outboard stand.  Fortunately, Joan was here to sign for it.

The good news: it comes well-packed and appears to be undamaged.  I get to do the "pre-delivery inspection" (would that be the post-delivery inspection?), which mostly amounts to putting oil in the engine, checking for any loose connections, gassing it up, and test running it.  It was already test run at the factory, then the oil drained out for shipping.

The bad news: the wind is blowing out of the south at about 30 miles per hour, gusting to about a thousand.  I'm kidding... a thousand and three.  No way am I doing to put the dinghy in the water to fire up the motor and take it for a test run.  Remember when you were a kid (Seriously? You can remember back that far??) and you got a bike for Christmas... and the snow was up to your hind end?  Yeah, that's how this feels.  Kinda.  Except there isn't snow.  But, you know what I mean: new toy and you can't play with it... oh, sure you could sit on the bike in the living room and make screeching brake sounds... but, if I'm going to play motorboat, well... nevermind.

The forecast for the next few days is more wind.  Back on the bright side, it was in the upper 70s today, so at least that wind just roars in your ears and makes it impossible to put down anything lightweight (a piece of wood I just finished cutting blew into the canal before I could pick it up)... it doesn't cut through you like it did during that last norther.

One of us had a walk-about again today.  Yes, the short, furry one.  Joan let her out on the deck, with a gate she fashioned.  Well, apparently, the wind opened that just enough so our sleek little girl could get by it.  I was sent on a search and rescue mission, but little Izzy must have heard me and was back on the deck before I got back.

Putting a cat in "time out" is like a reward: "You go lay down and think about what you've done!"  Does this look like the face of someone with even an ounce of remorse...


Damn, I wish I could sleep like that.  And, here's her, "Don't you think I'm sweet, Daddy?" face...


Yeah, that is one very sweet face.


2 comments:

Bill K said...

You do name those faces very well :))

Merry Christmas to you and Joan.

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bill - and a very merry Christmas to you and yours.