Monday, December 16, 2013

Island Time...


Some think that means it's "5 o'clock somewhere."  My definition is more along the lines of: things will get done when they get done.

We have our morning routine, and none of it happens in a hurry.  Coffee (for her) and hot chocolate (mine), some pastries.  Next course: fruit.  Then, Joan makes breakfast.  This morning, it was pancakes.  I heard some grumbling from the kitchen... "I do not like this griddle - it has been lousy since the first time I used it."  When I looked, she was trying to "pry" pancakes off the griddle.

"I'll take it to the garbage," I offered.  Seconds later, she had pancakes the size of our plates going in another pan... and nothing sticking.

After breakfast, it is guitar time... for as long as the Blonde is an appreciative audience.  Generally little Izzy's grooming time, too... until she decides she's had enough brushing.

A decent day; a bit cool, but nice enough to do our running with the scooters.  We stopped at Walgreens for something Joan wanted to get.  While there, I decided to get a flu shot.  The people at the pharmacy had to call a staff meeting to examine my insurance card... and then, without actually checking anything, decided my insurance didn't cover the shot.  "Fine.  I'm here, you're here, any chance I can still get the shot?"

"Fill out this form."  Fortunately, I am not pregnant.  Once they had my money, they left me sitting for quite a while.  Finally, the pharmacist called my name (I was the only one waiting), and stuck me, almost before I could get my arm out of my sleeve.  "You're done.  Be well."

"That's the whole idea of a flu shot."

Off to the grocery store.  Easy; not much of a crowd.  Next stop: the Post Office.  On what is the busiest "letter day" of the year.  Joan saw Wilma inside; I waited outside with the scooters.  For quite a while.  I entertained myself watching people park badly; the white lines designating parking spots don't count during the Christmas season.

It was well after lunch by this time, my belly told me so.  Joan asked if I wanted to go to the nearby Mexican restaurant... "Sure, or BurgerFi."  We decided to drop off the package from the Post Office and the groceries, then go eat.  It didn't take long at the house, but the bridge was out when we were ready to head off the island.

The swing bridge is the only way on and off this island, unless you are coming and going by boat.  Usually if the bridge is out, it is a 10 minute wait... unless it is a barge and tug, and then the bridge opens earlier, opens further, and you can count on 20 minutes.  Yep, we were there at the beginning of a barge going through.

After waiting for 20 minutes, watching the barge go through, the bridge started to close.  Mid-way through closing, it reversed direction, opening again.  That is very unusual.  Even if another commercial boat is coming, they usually clear the traffic that has been waiting.  Not this time.  The bridge swung all the way open again.  We found out later from the bridge guy that the second barge told him, "We're doing 8 knots and aren't going to be able to slow down."  Yep, I'd open the bridge again, too.  Our wait turned into a bit more than 40 minutes.

You really don't want to be on a schedule, coming and going here.  The bad news: the Mexican restaurant where we were going to eat, closed at 2:00, and it was 2:30.  We decided to take the scooters over the causeway for a juicy burger at BurgerFi.  We rolled up in front of that eaterie, not a car in the parking lot.  A sign on the door: closed until February for "remodeling."  That is generally a codeword around here for: we ain't coming back.  Especially for a place that only recently opened.  Too bad, the burgers there are good.

Joan suggested Padreritaville - today is "Meatloaf Monday."  We got there at 3:05.  One car in the lot.  The lady who was going to seat us said, "I think the meatloaf is gone for the day.  We stopped serving that at (checking her watch) 3:00."

"OK, maybe next time."

It was a short jaunt to Blackbeard's.  Joan said, "I know they serve off the lunch menu until 4:00."  My belly was telling me it was WAY beyond lunch.  Two cars in the parking lot.  The young lady seating us said, "Pick any table you want."

Finally.  This being the Christmas season, I was beginning to better understand Mary and Joseph's difficulty finding a place to stay... if necessary, I was ready to eat in a manger.  ;-)

The food was good; it was late enough that we won't need supper.  I was going to toss the dinghy in the canal and row it around... just to make sure it is water-tight.  By the time we got home, it was well beyond the warmest part of the day... maybe tomorrow.  That's Island Time.

And now, it is 5:00 somewhere.  :-)


No comments: