Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pulling some strings...


No, nothing to do with Joan getting me a job.

The cold continues in the Tropical Tip.  No cabin fever for me, I had "a project" for today: restringing guitars.  I move out of the guitar room and take over the island in the kitchen... it's a good height for working on the guitars and plenty of light.

On the agenda: two Taylors and the Rainsong.  I checked my string supply - good to go.  The T5 got a new set of Elixir electrics.  With strings off, it gives me a chance to really clean the fretboard, too.

Next up: the 814...


I had a set of Martin acoustic strings that I bought to try on this guitar, but the Elixirs just sound so rich, I decided to try the Martins on the Rainsong.  I am particularly fond of the tobacco sunburst finish on the 814 - and it shines up nice!  Working on the island allows me to move to either side of the guitar...



This isn't a tough job, but I like to take my time and look the guitars over close while restringing.

Last, I put the Martin strings on the Rainsong.  The Rainsong is a carbon fiber guitar, with a crisp sound that some describe as piano-like.  Definitely different from my wood guitars.  I haven't tried Martin strings on any of my guitars, but they were recommended by some folks on the Taylor forum as having a "warmer sound," I figured this would be a good trial.  The B-string fought me... it kept jumping out of the tuning pegs... like about 20 times.  And sticking my fingertip each time in the process.  That's new.  Finally got it, and tuned it up.  Yep, that B-string is going to have to "work in."

When I cut each string to length, I tried to keep the loose end from shooting across the room... little Izzy waited with expectation after she saw the first one go flying.  I scooped it up quick, before she could chomp on it.

By the third guitar, she was over it - time to settle back in on her favorite blankie...


By the third guitar, I had to be over it, too - Joan needed her counter back to make some supper.  Now, I have to do some playing to get that initial stretch out of the strings.


No comments: