Thursday, January 16, 2014

Eatin' and packin'...


Seems that's all we do these days.

My cousin and his wife showed up in town last night.  He is not one to give us any heads up, so we were otherwise occupied last night.  We arranged to have breakfast this morning.  He asked, "Where is the best place in town for breakfast?"

Without hesitation, I said, "Manuel's"

Without knowing anything about the place, he said he wanted to go somewhere else.  "Then why the hell did you ask??"  Sometimes it is easier to say, "Fine," and just move on (insert the "teaching a pig to sing" story here).

This morning, when I called to make sure he was up, he said, "What is the name of that place you wanted to go?"

"Doesn't matter, we aren't going there."

"Why not?  How do we get there?"

"We aren't going there.  YOU didn't want to go there.  It will be packed now, so we'll go to the crappy place you want."  That may have come out a bit harsher than I meant.

Teaching a pig to sing: it will never happen, you will get frustrated, and it will just annoy the pig.  I am not implying my cousin is a pig.

Breakfast was mediocre (as expected), but I generally do have some fun visiting with my crazy-ass cousin.

We came home and went to work getting things ready to take to the 5th wheel.

We had already arranged for a late lunch with friends Mike and M. J.  No fussing about where to go, we had a delightful late lunch and fun conversation at Pier 19.  Afterwards, we invited them in, since M. J. hasn't had the pleasure of meeting Izzy.  Izzy, of course, acted like they were here to kill her and clung to Joan or slinked around when put down.

Back to the packing again.  The 5th wheel is stored inland, 45 minutes away.  Instead of bringing into the resort here, we are going to try loading it up in the storage unit... with a couple trips.  We'll see how that works out.

I was hoping to put the motor on the inflatable and running some fresh fuel through it today.  It was a beautiful morning, but the tide was way low and the wind started kicking up.  By this afternoon, the tide was up... and the wind was up even more.  Temp above 70º, sunny, and wind out of the south at about a million miles per hour.  Of course, I'm exaggerating... more like a million and 20 miles per hour.  Regardless, I'm not messing with the inflatable in this wind.  It got put away, and the motor has been flushed and fuel run out of the lines and carb.  It will get played with when we come back.

The time is running out fast.  I am ready for some RV traveling, but the moving in and out process is wearing on me.  I don't think Izzy and I will be able to convince Joan that full-time RVing would be a good solution to that moving-in-and-out issue.


No comments: