Monday, January 27, 2014

Where old instruments go to die...


Still looking for a decent gigbag, I came up with Chicago Music Store in downtown Tucson.  Joan checked it out on her iPad, and we headed off.  We drove through some interesting neighborhoods along the way.  Getting close to downtown, we could see this store was going to be in the older part of town.

Here it is...


We went inside, and started looking around; met my new friend, James.  When I described what I was looking for, he said, "No, we won't have anything like that, more just cloth and vinyl unconstructed bags.  He knew what I was looking for.  The store had a "vintage" feel to it; I asked if it was OK to look around... "Sure!  We have 3 levels here; look around - you might find something interesting."

The first level had mostly current instruments - everything from acoustic guitars to PAs to stage lighting...



We found some gigbags, but they were just what James had said.  We went up some stairs - it fell of kinda fast...




Coming up on the 3rd level, there was some gorgeous light coming through these windows...


Guitars in various states of delapidation...


Stacks of drums...



Horns; some decent, some probably best used for parts...


A pile of violins...


A sign tell you to "Proceed at your own risk!" (Arrrrrrrgggh - thar be dragons there!)


A Standel amp...


I had a bigger version of this about 40 or so years ago.  Memories.

As my Honey walked by the windows, I had to take another shot...


Yeah, it's been almost 8 years since we retired.  My first thought when I saw those windows: oh, I could do some nice images here!  Well, it might take some picking up.  ;-)

We walked around the downtown area a bit, then back on wheels for some more looking around.  They have a light rail system that looks like it's almost ready to go - we saw it go by with bags of sand in the seats (that's how they do stability testing on boats).

Another lovely day in the desert.


No comments: