Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Welcome to my parlor...


... said the spider to the fly.  And this has very little to do with a parlor, as in: the living room.

There is a size category of acoustic guitars that are considered "parlor guitars."  They are smaller than a typical guitar, made for playing "while sitting on the couch."

I've been looking for a gig bag for my RainSong Shorty.  The Shorty is a little smaller than the typical acoustic guitar.  RainSong also released a Parlor guitar, cleverly called: the RainSong Parlor.  This size also makes a great travel guitar... well, if it sounds as good as a full-size guitar.  And, most smaller guitars don't.  The Taylor GSmini I have is one of those smaller guitars that sounds great.

I have been enjoying the RainSong Shorty - not as small as my GSmini, but made out of carbon fiber, so it is impervious to changes in humidity and temperature (unlike my wood guitars).

To get back to the point, today we stopped in a couple guitar shops; one of those was a Sam Ash (a music store chain)... while looking for a gig bag, we saw that they have RainSong guitars.  They are not listed as a RainSong dealer.  A gentleman working there told me they just got them in yesterday.  Off on another tangent: the guy was at least my age, unusual in a guitar shop.  Back off the tangent - one of the RainSongs was a Parlor...


That's the parlor guitar, bottom row, middle.  Cute little thing.  And, surprisingly, it sounded as big as my Shorty!  Ohhhh... that would be a very nice travel guitar.  How many times can you sell your kidney??  ;-)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Captain:

I found your blog by following the link from the Taylor forum. I'm carlinla over there.

That little gem on the bottom left looks like my most recent acquisition... that may be a Martin D-15... mostly mahogany. Plays great too.

If that carbon fiber is growing on you take a look at the Ovation Adamas guitars. They play pretty good and don't seem to be affected by the weather.

PS - I'm a currently boat-less boat nut - following your adventures is fun.

Carl