Monday, March 24, 2014

Underwear that's fun to wear...


Remember Underoos?  I guess they still make them - "Underwear that's fun to wear."  Those came out when our daughter was little.  Great premise.

Then came Victoria's Secret.  Underwear that's hot to wear.  And pricey.  Great retail premise.

Women and men differ in oh-so-many ways, but underwear is one of those most obvious ways.  That said, I'm a guy.  We buy underwear because women won't have anything to do with us if we don't wear 'em.  It's more of a utilitarian thing for guys... we don't look for "the hot brand."  Boxers or briefs.  Some of us live on the edge and go with the compromise of boxer/briefs.  You can get a package of 3 decent pair, in dark colors (and, really, men's underwear really should be dark) for about $12.  They are sized the same as your pants, they are reasonably comfortable, and they hold up for a long time.

Most men don't buy their own underwear.  They go from having their Mother buy their underwear to having their wife buy their underwear.  That interim between those stages is where some guys "go commando"... 'cause they don't have someone to buy their underwear.

Completely different for women.  Buying a first bra is a right of passage, with an experienced woman bringing a young girl to the knowledge.  Panties are sized 1 to 7, with no relationship to any other size of any garment.  Sometimes you get lucky and have S-M-L-XL.  Men, this is not a time to guess.

Guys like matching bras and panties.  No, not for us to wear, but on our lady.  I know this because (as mentioned above), I am a guy.  Maybe it reminds us of the first time we noticed girls were different: at the swimming pool; and that bikinis are one of the best inventions ever.

I went underwear shopping with the Blonde last week.  Some guys cringe at this... I prefer to actively participate.  I make suggestions.  I hold them up in the store and say, "How about these?"  Ever hopeful.  I see other guys in the store (this particular store was Soma, like Victoria's Secret for grown up women) who look like a dog that just chewed up your favorite pair of shoes: "If I hold real still and don't make eye contact, maybe no one will notice I am here?"

Dudes, you are missing out.  The Blonde and I have been together since we were kids.  We now both qualify for the senior discount at Denny's.  She still knocks my socks off (OK, socks are an entirely different underwear discussion, and no - black athletic socks are not the same thing as dress socks... but, I digress).  I love to help her pick this stuff out, because I will get to enjoy seeing them... at least twice a day... if I am lucky.

The secret is balance: sexy and comfortable.  Something for you, something for her.  Now, be prepared to pay a LOT more for women's undergarments than mens.  This is not something you buy by the pound.  Some of the prettiest little things are the most expensive.  And, so worth it.  Nothing sleazy looking... OK, I'm still working on understanding that.  Go back to that bikini reference... and remember what your Mother taught you about needing clean underwear in case you get hit by a bus.

One last underwear comment.  The previous has been mostly for the guys, but this is for you ladies: the fashion industry tells you that you should have some underwear that is "nude colored."  No you shouldn't.  Seriously.  You look like an anatomically ambiguous doll when you wear that stuff.  We are creeped out by that.  Get some underwear in the same color as your clothes if you are concerned that it will show through.  We guys are OK if your underwear shows though... really, we like shear stuff.  Well, don't wear panties with big brown teddy bears on them if you're wearing white pants, but I can't believe any woman would do that... OK, I have been to Wal-Mart, I could be mistaken there.

Oh, and about men's underwear... trust your woman's judgement.  There is only one known male who looks good in any kind of underwear, and you do not look like David Beckham.  Most guys think they are about 3 sit-ups away from looking "buff."  They would be wrong.  Trust your woman.  Unless she buys you "nude colored" underwear... I don't think they even make that for men.  Besides, who wants to look like a Ken doll?

;-)


No comments: