Friday, April 25, 2014

Like trying to find a buggy whip...


Why would you whip a buggy?  No, it was used on the horses that pull the bu... it was a metaphor.

I am working on a small project in the cargo trailer.  The key word there is: small.  I'm using 2x6 boards to build a carrier (mount) for the outboard for the dinghy.  I'd rather not carry it on its side.  Straightforward enough: attach 2x6s to the trailer wall, brace those with 2x6s across the front of that (and provide a place for the motor to attach). 

I had the home supply place cut the 2x6s to size, so all I have to do is assemble it all and attach it.  I thought the wait for the guy there to cut my big purchase of one board would be the longest part of the project.  I thought wrong.

This morning, board pieces and tools in hand, I went to assemble it all in the trailer.  The battery for the drill died after a few minutes.  The second battery for the drill was tired going in - didn't last any time at all.  Joan lent me the battery from her hand vac (yes, we bought it because it uses the same batteries)... a couple more minutes.  I put batteries on two chargers, hoping I could get a few minutes on each and swap.  Umm... nope.

Drilling into the metal uprights in the trailer takes some torque.  After going as far as my old bones could do by hand, we decided to run into town to pick up a corded drill.

Getting the scooters ready to roll, we were greeted by the new neighbors who are renting kitty-corner from us.  We have some friends in common, and visited for a bit.  He asked where we were heading, and I explained.  He asked, "Can you even buy a corded drill anymore?"

"I sure hope so."

Turns out he had a valid point.  Apparently, corded drills have gone the way of the buggy whip; no luck finding one.  Now, before anyone says, "Try Harbor Freight or Northern Tools," remember we live in a small town.  Wal-Mart or Sutherlands (home supply) - that's about it.

Frustrated, 'cause I was about half way through the project.  Joan suggested we go home and make some lunch, and maybe the batteries would have enough charge on them by the time we were done.  Things always look brighter after a chili cheeseburger.

Lunch done, I gave one of the batteries a try... enough juice to finish what I had started!  Oh, happy day!


Not fancy, but it is solid... I put my weight on it and it didn't budge... should be OK for a 41 pound motor, going down the road.

One project per day.  That's the plan.  I'm hoping we run out of projects before we run out of days.  ;-)


No comments: