Thursday, May 29, 2014

First Day...


Our other boat went out with a good passenger load today.  The boat I usually drive hasn't been driven since the Coast Guard inspection in March... she was looking a bit grubby.  I'll do some deep cleaning on her tomorrow - today was about going through all the systems on the boat and giving her a shake-down on the water.

Off to work...


I didn't have to wear the company clothes today, since I would be crawling all over the boat, slithering around the engine compartment, checking the bilges, and running her with no passengers.

At the dock...


It took me a couple hours to check through all our safety equipment and go through the engine.  I fired her up - she immediately roared to life.  It's a Cat diesel, and it does have a bit of a roar.  When it was time to shove off from the dock, I had a familiar first mate: the Blonde.  Her job is in the office, but she doesn't start there until next week... I know she knows the boat and we can work together.

I listened to other boats in the fleet, on their way to a whale sighting.  I was told to run the boat as long as I wanted, and shake it down thoroughly.  I considered running to the whales, but decided to find some lumpy water (yes, intentionally) to make sure nothing gets stirred up in the fuel tanks when we have guests onboard.

The first mate brought lunch for us, so we were able to dine at the helm while running.  She started the trip sitting beside the helm seat...


Yes, jackets - it gets brisk in the wind at this helm.  There is a windshield on the front, but in a crosswind, you can feel the chill.  Before long, she stood to get a better view...


The view forward...


And, looking off the stern, from the helm...


The now required selfie...


Captain Jim at the helm...


I checked out all the electronics onboard, then had Joan take the helm while I went down to check the engine and bilges... all looking good.  Who's driving the boat?


Back to the dock, I gave Joan a quick refresher course on docking procedures on this boat.  She stepped off the boat with the stern line in hand, and we tied off.  My Honey left, and I spent an hour or so scrubbing the deck... getting the surface grub off.  Tomorrow, the boat will get a good deep cleaning.


No comments: