Saturday, May 10, 2014

The calm after the storm...


The local TV weather weasels broke into the programming around 8:00 last night: a tornado warning!  The rotation in the clouds was about 70 miles from us, but the line of thunderstorms was heading this way.  Unlike the mid-west, tornado warnings are rare around here.  I stepped outside - the air was still, but heavy with humidity.

The rain started in our area just before 10:00.  Then, the line of thunderstorms hit.  The power went out for about 10 minutes... then back on for a few minutes... then out again for a half hour.

This morning, all the appliances that have a clock in them had to be reset.  I stepped out onto the deck - must have been some blowing dirt before the rain hit... the patio furniture is muddy.  The only thing that was left out there was Joan's flip-flops.  One was still there; I found the other one inches from the canal.

All is calm this morning.  The air still feels heavy, though.  I went out for a paddle.  It was early enough that there was very little activity.  I did hear two ladies on a deck...

"That looks like fun."

"No freakin' way!"

When I came back up our canal, there was a slight northerly breeze - a headwind.  When reading about paddleboarding, one of the things that was suggested: don't head off in a direction that makes your return into a headwind.  Fortunately, it wasn't much breeze.

I hosed off the equipment; this will probably be my last paddle before we head out.  Before going inside, I picked up some palm branched that had blown from the neighbor's yard.  Joan had a fresh fruit plate waiting, then a tasty hot breakfast.

More prepping the house and packing today.


No comments: