Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Wet!


With the service work done, all that remains is touching up the bottom paint that was under the keel blocks.  The problem: there is a sailboat close in front of us and another bigger powerboat behind us... I was told the lift crew is going to have to move one of those boats, and there are already several boats ahead of us to be moved; they told us it would probably be after lunch.  We took the time to prep Wild Blue with lines and fenders, readying her for launch.

At 11:00 we checked in... "You're next!"

"Ahead of schedule?" I asked.

"Well, we're going to do some fancy maneuvering with your boat."

Not sure I like the sound of that.

The moved the travel-lift over the powerboat behind us...


They lifted Wild Blue off her blocks and painted under those blocks...



Then rotated us out of that tight spot.  One of those travel-lifts would be handy for parallel parking!  They moved us into the launch position, then left us for a bit to let the paint dry... kinda sounds like a "what do you do in a small town?" joke, huh?

Time to launch...




We tied off to their dock, and fired up the motor... no pee stream.  Not a good thing.  I increased RPM and Joan reported "a slight dribble."  Still not good.  I shut down the motor.  Joan asked, "Is there supposed to be an opening in the side of the motor?"

"Huh?"

When I looked, I saw that the cover plate over the oil drain was missing.  I saw the mechanic take it off before draining the oil... I didn't see him put it on.  It is a very specific Honda item, so you aren't going to find one in any ol' boat stuff place.  I got a wire and ran it back through the pee-hole (nope, still not being gross) and fired up the motor... peeing a bit.  More reaming that opening and it started peeing just fine!  Obviously, something got clogged in there.

Now, to find the cover plate.  We looked all over the yard, then... Joan found it!  Amazing!  I put the cover back on, fired up the motor... and all was good.  I turned on the electronics - yep, all working.

I paid the bill (about what we expected - no suprises), Joan untied lines and shoved me off - I am taking the boat to Cap Sante Marina, she is bringing the truck around.  The view out the windshield of Wild Blue felt like home...


Joan was waiting for me at the fuel dock.  $300+ later, I headed for a slip.  We are putting the boat in a slip for the day, so we can get her loaded...


For me, the measure of a good looking boat is when you look over your shoulder as you are walking away...


That photo was before loading her up.  She will be sitting a bit lower on her waterline when we have everything onboard.  Four dock carts full of stuff went in/on.  Joan put stuff away, I pumped up the dinghy and sanitized the fresh water system.  We will be ready to roll in the morning.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Isnt it a great feeling getting your boat back in the water after a long season out? Wild Blue is looking good!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Dave. Yes, it feels good. This is as long as Wild Blue has been out of the water since we got her.