Saturday, June 21, 2014

Happy Solstice Day!


Friday Harbor is hoppin'!

Yesterday was relatively quiet.  We only had one boat out, which is unusual for a Friday.  It is a beautiful, sunny day in the San Juan Islands, warmer than yesterday.  Looks like we'll have all three boats out today.

The boss asked if I'd fix the tach on one of the boats this morning.  Sure.  At 9:30, I walked to the commercial docks in a short sleeve shirt.  First time this season.  The only issue with the repair was fitting my old body into a tight place, then using a crow's foot wrench because you couldn't get directly at the sending unit.  The key that connects the tach cable was sheared... a 15 minute repair that generally takes an hour with all the gyrations.

I celebrated the repair with a trip uptown for a donut.  The ferry had just let out and people were swarming Spring Street; a constant line of cars pouring out of the ferry.

A kid was whining to his parents, "This makes my legs hurt!"  He was talking about walking up the one block hill from the ferry landing.

"Sounds to me like you need to put down the video games and get outside more."  His father agreed with me.  His little sister had big smiles, looking all around.

Every check-out at the grocery store was busy.
I saw the first bikini top of the season.  It was 65º.  The woman was wearing a cowboy hat and walking a little foo-foo dog.  Earlier, in the office, I heard Joan tell a guest, "Yes, you'll want a jacket on your trip.  The water temp is around 50º so it is always cooler on the water."  No doubt, the warmth brings out the crowds.

At our counter, I heard someone ask, "Where at the whales?"  The young lady at the counter offered to get them on a boat today... that questioning lady said, "We're weighing our options"... then went out to a table to tell her husband (who was looking at a chart), "I couldn't find out."

In the marina, there is a lot of boat activity - boats coming in, boats heading out.  The fuel dock is fully occupied.  People wheeling roller bags up the docks - getting off boats and heading to the hotels.  Boats circling the courtesy parking dock space... "Are you sure we can park here?"

Izzy is sitting in the cockpit, watching all the activity.

It is the longest day of the year.  Well, the day with the most daylight hours.  Hopefully, it won't feel like the longest day of the year.  ;-)

I guess people have decided that summer is really here.


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

I ordered great weather for you yesterday Jim. It was my birthday! Sun stays up longer just for me! ;-)

Walking a little foo-foo dog..... Walking a cat on a leash..... Definitely some similarities there.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Foo-foo dog vs cat?? Not even close. Thanks for the nice weather! ;-)