Sunday, June 8, 2014

In her new outfit...


No, not Joan.

I finished the last of the "canvas project" yesterday, with wiring the 360º light on top...


The photo is backlit, but you can see the new canvas across the back and on top of the helm.

Tim and Mary came by on a kayak while I was finishing up the wiring.  "How was your day?"  Sounds like theirs was more relaxing than ours - more crew training (we have quite a few new naturalists this year) and getting Chris (another captain) up to speed with the approach and docking procedures here... "Dodge the ferry, look out for the small boats, watch the wind direction and water depth, be mindful of Victoria Clipper's prop wash... and just for the experience, let's make our approach between the ferry pilings..."

When I came back to the office to pick up Joan at the end of her work day, she put a sack on the counter... "These are for you."

I opened the sack - it is a very nice pair of alpaca socks.  The guy who did the canvas work told me his wife works at the alpaca farm here on the island - he was grateful for the help I gave him on the project and said he'd bring me some socks.  I told him that was very gracious, but not necessary (hey, I'm getting paid).  Wow - these socks are thick and luxurious!  Perfect for a chilly day on the scooters or the boat.


Joan said, "Those would make nice sleep socks."  Huh-uh... mine!

We had supper with Tim and Mary last night.  Graduation ceremony for the local high school was this afternoon, so town was buzzin'!  Tim looked out the window at one point and said, "They are racing with school buses!"  Never a dull moment in Friday Harbor.

Joan is a working girl again today, I am supposed to take the Roche Harbor boat out for some practice, unless Kittiwake (in all her new finery) has a trip.  On call again.  In between, I'll take Tim and Mary to the airport.

And Mother Nature seems to be gifting us with another beautiful day.

-

------------------------------------

On edit: It really is best to not plan too far ahead.  It seemed like a decent plan, though.  The Roche boat is filling and I'll be heading that way later this morning.  With the timing, I don't get to tell Tim and Mary good-bye or take them to the airport.

Time to get my house husband duties done before I go to work.


No comments: