Thursday, June 5, 2014

Minke whales and sailing friends...


The boat I was supposed to drive today is out of the rotation while new canvas is being made.  There was discussion about having me drive another boat.  Since we have some friends visiting, I let the office know I was fine not driving or working on a boat today.  Jim gets the day off!

Tim and Mary came to our slip, and we discussed the attributes of the C-Dory.  I've known Tim for a long time with our association on a sailing forum.  We have visited in person in the Tetons and at Lake Havasu.  Nice folks.

Joan had to work, so they got to have me as boat crew when we took Wild Blue out.  Another beautiful day in the San Juans... Tim took credit for that, saying he is fortunate with weather when he travels.  I am good with anything that works to keep that sun shining!

We were just out playing, with no destination in mind; we decided to head south through Cattle Pass and into the Strait of Juan de Fuca.  Without actually looking for whales, we came across a Minke whale... and then another.  It was fun being able to point them out to Tim and Mary.

They both got some helm time on Wild Blue...


 

A different experience for sailing folks, and one I can sure understand.  I'm thinking they enjoyed the pilothouse experience.

Little Izzy was missing her Momma, but quietly rode along.  I enjoyed pointing out things as we cruised: a bald eagle, some harbor porpoise, seals, and the Minkes.  Cattle Pass was pretty calm as far as wave action, but they got to see some of the swirling eddies the pass is known for.

Joan was "almost" off work when we came back around 2:00 - she met us at the dock.  I thought she missed me, but she was needing keys to the truck (that were in the boat) to run some work errands.  When she got back, the four of us had lunch with a view of the harbor.

Nice way to spend the day.  :-)


No comments: