Friday, August 29, 2014

Easy day and friends from home...


It was a delightfully easy day on the whale watch boat today.  The resident Orcas were reasonably close.  The weather looked iffy: solid overcast, but the rain came this morning, not during our chartered trip.  And the sea conditions were... wonderful!  I had a report that conditions were "a one foot roll"... when we got to where the whales were, it was nearly calm.  Quite a change from yesterday.

An extended family group chartered the boat today; their goal: "We want to see Orcas!"

It was a pleasure to tell them that we had good reports - they were excited!

On the scene, we had some fine viewing of K-Pod...





Coming back in from the whales, we saw a bunch more wildlife: first, a Minke whale.  Then, a couple Dahl's Porpoise (only the second time I've seen them this season).  The Stellar Sea Lions were in fine form...



A short run from Whale Rocks, and we saw a bald eagle.  VERY nice viewing today!

And the water was SO pleasant...



We fueled the boat and got her cleaned and put away.  When I walked up to the office... my buddy Herb was standing there!  I haven't seen Herb and Wilma since we left Texas.  They were able to get a slip for tonight (not easy to come by on a holiday weekend); I walked down to the dock to catch a line for them while they moved off the breakwater dock.

When Joan got off work, we walked back to Willie's Tug (Herb and Wilma's new Ranger Tug) for a tour and some catching up...


Herb and Joan sitting on one of their cool fold-out seats in the cockpit...


A nice way to cap off the day!


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

Ummmm..... Jim, I thought I put in an order for nice weather today. I was thinking more of the sunshine, not rain. I officially proclaim you a Weather Wienie! I guess I should be happy though. A high of 65 is much better than 96!!!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

If I had any input on the weather, I would also be buying lottery tickets. Weather Wienie? I'm OK with that. Hell, I was wearing flannel-lined pants today. It gets cold up on that flybridge!