Tuesday, August 12, 2014

That sound in the middle of the night...


No, it wasn't a charley-horse acting up again.  Wasn't snoring.

It was the pitter-patter of raindrops.  I kinda like that sound when I am snug in my own boat and don't have to head out on one of the whale watch boats.  It is our day off again today.  About 5:30, I heard Joan stir... we had talked last night about taking the scoots off-island today... I quietly said, "Scrap it?"

"Oh, yeah."

"OK, I'm going to turn over and go back to sleep."

That is my idea of not having a schedule.

There is an 80% chance of rain today, with occasional thunderstorms.  Not a good day to be out on a boat or a scooter.  It is a good day for a tasty home cooked breakfast... and an 80% chance of Chinese food later today.  I like that forecast.

Out on the docks, I watched a couple of our kayak guides preparing for a group overnight trip.  Good attitude is a must for them... adventure or adversity... depends on the way you look at it.  At this point in my life, sleeping on the ground in the rain wouldn't be my idea of a good time.  But, if this is the time you have here, you get the weather you get.  It would be a shame to not get out there to see and experience the San Juans.

The 10 day forecast is showing a few days with a good chance of precip.  This summer has been dryer than any other we've experienced here.  It has been quite a season so far: good weather, outstanding whale viewing; having the scooters to experience other land parts of the San Juans and mainland that wasn't on our radar in the past.  Not a bad way to pass the season.

Some of the trees are turning colors and shedding leaves.  Seems earlier than usual.  The time is going by fast.


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

Heat running? Trees turning? Are you at the North Pole? Remember you're supposed to keep the weather awesome until AFTER my dad and I do our Alaska cruise in 2 1/2 weeks. Don't tell me you forgot....

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Not to fear, Mark - September may be the best month in the PNW: the weather is still nice, the water is still great, and the number of boats on the water diminishes. Of course, you will be on one of those huge-ass cruise ships, so little boats won't matter to you. ;-)

Trees ARE turning. Apparently, those are candy-ass trees. As far as heat running, we have used heat almost every night this summer... I am candy-ass, too. Most days on the whale watch boats, I have had 3 to 4 layers while driving the flybridge boats. All summer.