Tuesday, August 26, 2014

We didn't know what was wrong... so we took a break.

Yes, they really said that.

Another beautiful day off.  My last day off until we are gainfully unemployed again.  The Blonde gets tomorrow off.  We lounged in the cockpit this morning, enjoying what we like best about boating... I think our next boat will just be a cockpit... pointed towards the sunrise or the sunset.  ;-)

After breakfast and cleaning up, we decided to take what will probably be our last fun day of scooting on San Juan Island (at least for quite a while).  No, I'm not going to say things like: "This is the last time we will go to the grocery store here," or "This is the last time that I will walk uptown to buy Salted Nut Rolls from Ace Hardware here," or other stuff like that.  Probably.

I left my camera in the under-seat storage area on the scoot, intentionally.  I figure we've all seen these scoots on the road... lots of roads.  We had a blast, tearing around the island.  On a particularly good curvy road, we'd get to the end of it, look at each other, and say, "Let's do that one again!"

We stopped for lunch at Roche Harbor, sat outside, and enjoyed the marina views.  And the food.  Joan had a stacked up Cubano sandwich, and I had a prime rib open face, that was an actual piece of prime rib.  Yeah, this will probably be the la... nevermind.

Back on the scoots.  Joan turned off on a road we haven't been on before - yeah, we better go check it out.  Lots of curves, no traffic.  Then we came across something unusual...

Yeah, I got the camera out.  It's an old car with a tree growing up through the middle of it.  You don't see that every day.

Well, since I have the camera out...

This looks like a good place to go...

There are a lot of little lakes scattered all around this island.  This is the only mention of bacon... and, as we all know, everything is better with bacon.  ;-)

Back to Friday Harbor, and looking for a late afternoon trip to the pump-out.  We got over there, put on our rubber gloves, ran clear water into the holding tank, pressed the button to pump-out... and nothing.  No beeping, no suction... nothing.  We looked for a breaker of some sort all around the pump-out post... nothing.  Joan pressed the button... nothing.  I pressed the button again... more nothing.  It's like 5 people walking up to the elevator, and each one of them feels the need to press the button... well, except the elevator usually works... really, we got nothing.

I called the Port on the VHF radio and explained the situation to the young lady.  She proceeded to tell me how to use the pump-out.  "Yeah... we know how to run the pump-out.  It is NOT working.  No beeping, no suction."

She said, "Let me get right back to you."  A few minutes later, she did: "Maintenance is aware of the problem and will be there in 10 minutes."

We waited 15 minutes, then the kid driving the pump-out boat went by.  I followed him to their parking spot, thinking he might be able to pump us out.  Nope - you have to let them know a day ahead of time.  "Well, if the Port had informed me a day ahead of time that the pump-out wouldn't be working today, I would have called."

He said, "Looks like they have the pump motor apart - I'm sure they know about this."

"Thanks for your help."  And by that, I meant: thanks for nothing.

About that time, our friend Sam came by, and we visited for another 10 or 15 minutes.  Sam is a good guy - he didn't press the green button to see if it would work.

Then, Joan saw the maintenance guys walk by at the end of the dock.  I went down there and asked if the pump-out would be functioning soon.  One of the guys said, "We didn't know what was wrong with it, so we took a break."

"No shit, Shakespeare?"  No, I didn't really say that.  But, I thought it.  So about 30 minutes after being told they would be here in 10 minutes, there was still no resolution.  Oh, they did press the button again.  Nothing.  He said, "Maybe it has air in it?"

I said, "I think you would still hear some suction."

He pressed the button again.  More nothing.  45 minutes after we arrived here, we decided to cut our losses and go back to our dock.  We'll try again tomorrow.

We rinsed off the boat, hooked power up, fired up the satellite TV... Joan thought a nap was in order.  I think I'll go to the cockpit... 'cause I really like the cockpit.

I have often said, "Never judge a day by the weather."  It is a beautiful day - downright warm again.  Feel free to judge a day by the pump-out station... you know that's something you never see on a dish towel.  ;-)  Doesn't matter - this may have been the most fun day of scooting, and that DOES matter.

Did I mention that this will probably be our last day of scoo... yeah, I bet I did.


Bill K said...

Sounds like they grabbed a guy off the street and said you are now a maintenance man.

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Actually, their maintenance people generally do a good job. Timing. I just don't like to piss away time on a day off. ;-)