Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Buggin' me...


No, not the Blonde or little Iz.

The "cold front" moved in last night.  It was 72º when I got up this morning.  If that seems warm to you, that is at least 10º cooler than it has been any morning since we got back.  We have been waiting for the weather to cool off a bit so we could go out to the storage unit and clean up the HitchHiker.

Joan always keeps it nice and clean inside, so that didn't need much... but, the HitchHiker was a weapon of mass bug destruction on our last outing.  Momma bugs, baby bugs, entire bug families - wiped out at 60 miles per hour.  And the real horror of it: all those dead carcasses were on display, spread out all across the front cap of the HitchHiker.

Question: What's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind as it hits the front of the 5th wheel?
Answer: His ass.

I may have mentioned how many bug remains were on there?  Seriously, the front of the HitchHiker looked furry!

When we got to the storage unit, Joan worked inside, while I went to work cleaning the outside...


When I back the truck up close and stand in the back, I can reach about half way up that front cap.  We brought a ladder along, so I could get the whole thing.  It was a lot of work, but thanks to the comfortably cool weather, I hardly worked up a sweat.  The hardest work was putting the tonneau cover back on the truck.  We drained the water out of the fresh tank, closed it up, and headed for home.

Joan suggested a stop at the DQ on the way back - that's a nice reward for all the cleaning.

Back home, we put the last of our stuff back on the deck... I guess we are settled in for a while.


5 comments:

Doryman said...

I'm hearing that WD-40 is good for getting bugs off and that a coating of baby oil after the wash helps when cleaning next time. What do you use?

Team Brazo said...

We used fabric softener sheets after 2 months in Alaska (most bugs came from SD though). They came off without much effort.

Have a nice day.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I used fabric softener sheets. We put them around inside while it is in storage, then keep the used ones for cleaning off the bugs. Dip 'em in soapy water, and I use a sponge with a handle on it on top of the dryer sheet.

I think they should make paint out of bug guts - it really sticks! ;-)

I keep a good coat of wax on there (Meguiar's) - makes clean up easier.

Doryman said...

Huh? You leave fabric softener sheets in the rig? Why?

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Warren - the fabric sheets keep things smelling fresh and keep critters out. We have been using them in our RVs and boats for years. Spread 'em around before you put it in storage; leave the drawers and cabinets cracked open a bit.