Thursday, October 23, 2014

Partial eclipse...


No, not a section of a Mitsubishi car.

There was a partial eclipse of the sun today.  Locally, the event was to start at 5:08 and be done by 6:51.  From the information, it was only going to be a small part of the sun that would be eclipsed.

Joan made a viewing device, because you aren't supposed to stare into the sun...


You punch a hole in one piece of paper, let the light from the sun shine through that hole onto another piece of paper.  What you'll see is something like this...


Not as much of an impact as staring at the sun, but it does keep you from frying your eyeballs!

After the peak time, I asked Joan what she had in mind for supper... "Dominoes."  The power of suggestion: earlier today, we had discussed how Dominoes stock has been doing well.  A couple years ago, they started an advertising campaign that pretty much admitted that they knew they needed to improve their pizza.  And, apparently, they did.  We haven't had Dominoes in quite a while - I guess we'll see if their pizza improvement is as good as their stock.

On my way to pick up the pizza, I got caught at our swing bridge - a boat on the ICW going through.  Fortunately, not a huge barge, since that usually ties up about 20 minutes.  But, while waiting for the bridge, I had a view of the setting sun...


Yeah, one cloud right over the sun.  All I had was my phone, so it would have been beyond the capability of that lens, anyway.  Still, kinda pretty.

Back to the pizza - it was also the first time we ordered Dominoes on-line.  Just like it is supposed to work, it was ready when I got there (the bridge only slowed me by a couple minutes)

The pizza was better than I remembered.  And, I kinda know my pizza.  ;-)  Back when I was in high school, I dated a blonde girl who worked in a pizza parlor.  Yeah, the same girl, only now it is the Blonde, with a capital B.

--------------------------------

A view of the progress on the dock...


It is coming together.  Certainly better than it looked first thing this morning...



No comments: