Thursday, November 20, 2014

A look into the future...


Some of you know I play guitar.  For 50 years now.  I really should be better than I am... but, I digress.

One of my guitars is made from carbon fiber.  Wood guitar purists haven't embraced the carbon fiber technology.  I like, and play, both.  On a carbon fiber guitar forum where I participate, someone asked "What are your thoughts on carbon fiber guitars 50 years from now?"

You're probably thinking: "Musta been a slow night on the carbon fiber forum, huh?"

Yep.  But it did make me think...

----------------------

I am firmly convinced that the mostly forgotten theremin will catch on at last and overtake guitar somewhere between 44 and 47 years down the road. All those carbon fiber and wood guitars we currently covet will be relegated to planters... probably for the "home brewers" of the day, to grow their genetically altered marijuana plants. The songs of the 60s that many felt were "life changing" will be looked at as amusing, but the hair band tunes of the 80s will have come back around. High school marching bands will be playing "We're Not Gonna Take It," "You Give Love a Bad Name," and "Girls, Girls, Girls," arranged for theremin and wireless electric clarinet at half time for the Extreme Hoverboard Soccer Games.

Well, that's how I see it.



Jim

(On the bright side, I won't be around to experience it. Unless my kid has my head cryogenically frozen... at which point I won't have any arms, so it still won't matter.)


No comments: