Sunday, November 23, 2014

And by water...

After getting back from riding the scoots, Joan read the forecast to me for this evening...

"It's going to be windy... all night and most of tomorrow."

"Well, I guess I better toss a kayak in the water.  I saw some dolphins when we were crossing the bridge - maybe they will have come up the waterway some?"

Joan gave me a hand getting the Hobie into the water, and I shoved off.  Heading down our canal...


I pedaled to the east after our canal; into the "lake area."  In the distance, you can see the highrises on South Padre Island...


Turning down another canal from the lake...


Under the low bridge...


A beautiful day - folks were out on their patios and decks; plenty of smiling and waving, and some questions about the kayak (How do you steer that thing?)...


This community used to be an Outdoor Resorts - an RV resort where you buy the lot.  Over time, it has morphed into mostly small homes, Sea Cottages, park homes, and some RV lots...


I made my way into the ICW - no dolphins, but the pirate ship was pulling away from its temporary dock...


They must have a sunset cruise today; should be a perfect evening for it.  Looking to the west, you see the end of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway...


That is the Port Isabel Turning Basin.  What looks like a tower in the distance is a drilling ship that was docked there a year and a half ago, with the premise that it was going to undergo refitting.  No sign of that.

There are a couple RV lots left that front the ICW...



Not much boat traffic in the ICW.  I turned up another canal on our island - a couple pelicans sitting on top of a house there...


Someone is getting a new house built...


I passed under another bridge and slowed down as I passed our friends Mike and MJ's lot - they just got in yesterday.  No sign of them outside, so I pedaled on.  Down our canal and up to our dock...


Joan grabbed the bow line and gave me a hand pulling the kayak up on the dock.  I hosed it off and joined Joan and Izzy up on the deck, watching the sun drop.



No comments: