Thursday, November 27, 2014

Get up - we have eating to do...


Happy Thanksgiving!  A lovely start to the day here in the Tropical Tip.

The sun is shining, the wind is calm.  The high today will be in the 70s.  We don't have to travel.  Oh, I may toss a paddleboard or a kayak in the water, but we won't be going "over the river and through the woods."

The house already smells good this morning.  Not from the turkey... yet.  Last night, Joan assembled a breakfast casserole we saw on Facebook, and it went into the oven as soon as we got up.  Little Izzy has had her morning meal and is sitting by the open door to the deck, watching the birds fly up and down the canal.

Our daughter and son-in-law are visiting Dan's family in Wisconsin.  They are there, safe and sound.  We will get together for the next holiday.

I am thankful for our family and what we are able to do.  Not just today; everyday.

Unlike many of the retail stores, this is the start of the holiday season for us.  Oh, Joan has already been shopping and planning.  I like this season here: the lighted boat parade, the lighted golf cart parade, the parade of lights on South Padre Island... see a theme here?  I enjoy seeing the reflection of the lights in the water of the canal.

'Tis the season.

--------------------

On edit:  Semi-Formal.

The Thanksgiving meal was a success.  We spent several hours out on the deck, in shorts and shirtsleeves.  A true "Chamber of Commerce Day" here.

We are not particularly social.  Oh, don't get me wrong, we aren't anti-social; we just tend to keep to ourselves.  We set this house up for comfort for a couple.

The neighbors across the canal from us are social - there is always a group of people there.  And, quiet isn't part of the gatherings.  Not a problem, it just makes me chuckle when they try to out-talk each other.

Joan was able to easily go to the kitchen (just a few steps away) from the deck - she made the whole meal; I stay out of her way.  I didn't know what to expect as far as the meal accommodations until I could see where we would be sitting: the dining table is generally for those rare times we have company.  We usually eat at the island counter; casual dining for 2.

When I heard dishes being set out, I saw that we were eating at the island counter... but, instead of the Tervis tumblers, we had real glass glasses.  I would consider this semi-formal.  ;-)

Ever wonder what they do with the rest of the turkey when you see people eating turkey drumsticks at the fair?  Joan made a turkey breast today.  No drumsticks.  Which is fine, since we both prefer white meat.  All the fixin's: mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green beans with carrots, cornbread stuffing, rolls, and (of course) pumpkin pie (with lots of whipped cream).

During the summer, more often than not, I took a turkey sandwich to work.  By the end of summer, I was ready to NOT eat turkey for a long time.  I guess it's been long enough - the turkey was tender and juicy.  Everything was delicious... the Blonde is a good cook.

I need a nap.

:-)



No comments: