Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hello, ma'am, I'm here to fix your water heater...


Sound like the opening scene of a sleazy movie?

I had a call into the tankless water heater company yesterday.  The unit has been acting up, but not leaving us without hot water.  I had to do a reset on the heater yesterday, and then it was working fine... I just thought I'd give them a call to see what their tech support recommends me to do.

My buddy, Sarah, from the water heater company didn't call back until this morning... when we were out and about in the truck.  "I'll call you back this afternoon."

I replaced this whole unit last year.  Sarah talked me through what to do (eliminating having a service person come to the house) and arranged for us to pick up the new unit from a distributor.  Taking it all apart on a Friday afternoon last year, Sarah gave us her personal cell number - in case we ran into any problems.

Pretty fine tech support, huh?  No, we didn't need to call her at that time.

So, today when we returned home, I gave Sarah a call.  With her telling me what to do, I put the multi-meter on the different probes to test for resistance.  Everything checked out.  "That's a good thing," she said.  She then talked me through doing a matching procedure to reset everything on the circuit board.  "You're done - enjoy your hot water."

It seems to be working fine.  I really appreciate the fact that she knows this unit and is not reading from a script.

Most folks don't give a lot of thought to their water heater... until there is a problem.  I am very fond of my water heater.  It's tankless, so I don't run out of hot water.  Perfect for our jacuzzi tub.  It only runs when you turn on the hot water.  No big tank for storing water (it's a small house).

Today was a good service day.  The service man (me) got a hug when he was done.  I didn't have to take anything apart or replace anything.

----------------------

While out and about today, we picked up a memory card for one of my cameras.  In a "Pre Black Friday Sale," I bought a 16 gb card for $4.60.  It makes me think back to when we first made the switch to digital technology in the studio... a 1 gb compact flash card was $400.  For a ONE gigabyte card.  Back then, 16 gb would have cost me $6,400.  Before digital, I spent a lot more than that for film each year, so even that would have been a hot deal.  But... $4.60 for 16 gigabytes... to put into a little pocket camera that is as capable as that first pro-line digital camera that cost about the same as our first house.  Tell me again about "the good ol' days."  ;-)


No comments: