Friday, December 19, 2014

It isn't a job, it's an adventure...


Going to the store.

Joan suggested we go out for breakfast; I'm always up for that.  After breakfast, it was off to HEB (Texas grocery store chain).  I was in charge of the list... an awesome responsibility.  She goes to the store to shop - I'm along for the lookin'.  Around here, there is always something that I can't identify.

"What's that?"

I'm sure I sound like a little kid.  I'm at that "curious stage" - old enough to have been around the block a time or twelve.  Old enough that I don't really give a furry rat's rear what someone passing by thinks when I ask the Blonde, "What is this?"


Those little round things in the middle of this image are tejocotes... at one time, the most common smuggled fruit.  Smuggled, because these were forbidden for import to the US due to "exotic insect pests."  South of the border, the tejocotes (a crab-apple like fruit) is an indispensable ingredient in ponche, a hot punch that is popular around the holidays in Mexico.

Or how about a nice chunk of sugar cane stalk?

The bin with the red bow?  Yep, piloncillo, a tasty cone of raw sugar cane.

Sound like a sugar overdose?  Not much different from eating candy corn.  (Which doesn't appeal to me, either.)

My favorite part of shopping, though, is the people-watching.  I'm not trying to make this a "people of Wal-Mart" bingo game, but my favorite today was the 70 year old woman (my guess) wearing the "official Keg Stand shirt" t-shirt...






Not being snarky, but hers did not appear this trim.  You have to appreciate the sense of humor, though.  Let me help create the mental image: an old woman standing on her hands to chug down beer from a keg.  Not enough to make you spit-take your beer?  Imagine those 36 longs hanging out the top of the... ohhhhhhhh.

Taking a short-cut from the back corner of the store to the check stands, we passed by the baby items.  I was unaware of the brand called NUK.  And a pacifier called a Nuk-Nuk.  When did we do away with "binky"?  Then, Joan had to tell me how she and Steph laughed so hard when the subject of me remarrying... a younger woman... and having another kid.  Which generally leads to the Blonde getting ticked at me for remarrying.  I nipped that in the bud by asking, "If I get remarried and have another kid, would that make you the Grandma or the Aunt or what?"

"It doesn't make me anything - don't even think about me watching your kid!"

I have no idea how these conversations get rolling.  Or how I wind up being in trouble for a weird imagined situation.

Pretty sure I'm back on "the Naughy List" again, though.

I love shopping.


2 comments:

Label Me If You Wish said...

The worst is when you get in trouble for something you did in their dream.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Been there, too. :-0