Thursday, December 18, 2014

Tweaking...


No, not twerking.  I tried that once... hurt my back.

My carbon fiber guitar was making a "twanging" sound on a couple of the frets last week.  Oh, I know what you're thinking: "Nothing to fret about."  Do you get any funnier?

I had recently put new strings on the guitar.  Even so, I took off the offending string and replaced it with another.  That seemed to take care of the twang.  Until this morning... I got the guitar down, played a chord, and the twang was back.  I swapped out guitars and kept playing, keeping in mind that I needed to do something with the first one.

After lunch, I went to work on the carbon fiber guitar.  It has been more humid than normal for this time of year, but the carbon fiber isn't affected by that.  I checked the neck relief, and it seems normal.  Even though the carbon fiber "should never need a neck adjustment" (quote from the manufacturer), I decided to tweak the neck...


Not a big deal.  With my wood guitars, they sometimes require a small tweak with the change of season or climate.  The CF neck hasn't moved, going from the Pacific Northwest to the desert of Arizona, to the Gulf Coast, and all around again.  I adjusted the neck a bit and tried it... better, but the twang wasn't completely gone.  A bit more tweak.  Better.  A bit more.  I was concerned that I might go too far... nahhh.  Finally, the twang was gone.  I will never make in the country music biz.  ;-)

Yes, the island in our kitchen is a good height for guitar work.

A little Christmas song...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/haveyourself-a-merry-little-christmas


No comments: