Saturday, January 17, 2015

I have never heard of such a thing...


Another day of getting ready to leave.

Truth be told, this is probably our busiest prep day: putting outside stuff away at the house, getting the cargo trailer ready to roll, checking and topping off the fluids in the truck.  In between, we took the scooters out for lunch... a reasonably warm(ish) day, with a high around 70ยบ or so... plenty of sunshine.

This evening, the bulk of our clothes will get paired down for what goes to the 5th wheel.  Tomorrow, another trip to the HitchHiker and putting everything away.  The next trip to the storage unit will be heading out.

We had one last winter lunch at our local Italian restaurant.  We had a waitress we haven't seen before.  I asked for something not on the menu - something I always get there: a stromboli burger.  It is a burger, baked into the middle of a stromboli... with ham, pepperoni, cheese.  It is a tasty meal they used to have on their menu.

Our waitress said she'd check with the kitchen to see if they could make it.  When she returned: "Yes, how do you want the burger part done?"  Joan and I visited; had some fresh made crispy-bread... and when the waitress brought our meals, she said, "I've never had a burger, but this one looks really good!"

"You've never had a burger?" I asked; "You mean you've never had a stromboli burger?"

"No, I've never had any kind of burger."

"Are you a vegetarian?"

"No.  I just don't like how a burger looks.  Never cared to try one.  But, this might make me change my mind."

"Never had a burger??  Pull up a chair and I'll cut you off a bite!  This is too good to pass up!"

She politely declined, and ground some fresh cheese for our pasta.

Never had a burger.  She looked to be early 20s.  How does someone make it that many years without trying a burger??  Never had a burger?  Never a burger at a beach bar.  No bacon cheeseburger.  No chili burger.  But, not a vegetarian.  That ain't right.

I have never heard of such a thing.


2 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

WHAT is this younger generation coming to?

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I know! I asked, "Do you eat steak?"

"Sure!" She said she was grossed out by the idea of "pressed meat."

LOL

Nice young lady. Friendly. Efficient. But... no burgers? Ever? Grilling out is required down here... state law, I think. ;-)